Isaiah12

Default Searching for Ainslie in Royal Navy

I have a road block in my family research. My great-great-great-great grandfather was William Garrett Ainslie. He had a falling out with his family and never told any one anything about his family. There are no parents listed on his death records. The story is that he was born in Amsterdam on April 1, 1782. That he ran away from home at the age of 16 when his father remarried. That he fought for the British Navy during the War of 1812.
    I do know that on November 2, 1815 he married Margaret Powers in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. At this time he was a rigger at the Dockyard in Halifax. I was told be Canada that the Dockyard was under British so any records would be held by the Royal Navy. How could I get any records about his time there? And would any info on his parents or family be in his records?
    Thanks

Welcome to British-Genealogy Isaiah12

Do you have a copy of the marriage certificate for William and Margaret? It may be that parents or birth place are noted on there.

This record on ancestry is not much use as I have no idea what Hl next to Williams birth place means.
    Margaret Powers
    Birth Place - Ns
    Born 1802
    Spouse Name: William Garrett Ainslie
    Birth Place -Hl
    Birth Year - 1792
    Marriage State - Ns
    Number Pages = 1

There is a tree on ancestry which has William G born in Fellcleugh, Longformacus, Berwickshire but the source for this is the marriage record above!

Regarding the Naval records I would be very doubtful about the the Royal Navy holding records for the ordinary work force in the dockyard.

It may be helpful to get in touch with the Nova Scotia Historical Society to see if they can suggest something. Just typing 'dockyard nova scotia 1815' in to a search engine brings up quite a few sites on the history of the dock yard.

Hopefully someone else will have some suggestions.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs