Valman

Default change of seaman's ticket number.

l wonder if anyone knows if a Merchant Seaman would have kept the same ticket number throughout his time at sea? l have my GGGrandfather shown as having one number in the 1835-1844 list but then in the next one 1845-1854 he doesn't seem to be included but may have been entered under another name with a different number, as all the details are the same for him except the name and ticket number, l'm confused so would appreciate any help that you can give me.

Thanks very much

Valman

pippycat

I think you will find the Register Number was unique to a particular Seaman and it did not change.

Have you seen the National Archives information on Merchant Seamen records?

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...before1857.htm

Easy to read valman, even I could understand it

Rebecca

Reputation beyond repute

I haven't had many dealings with merchant seamen (oooh Missus! ) but I think you've got two different series of records here and what you're really saying is that he 's in the first series but not on the second.

I think the numbers mean different things in the two series. Have a look at this research guide and see what you think.

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...-1835-1857.htm

If I'm reading this correctly the number in Series II is just to relate the index to the actual record and isn't actually a ticket number. In Series III there is a ticket number.

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

My late father -in-law had two discharge numbers - not sure if these are the same as Seaman's Register Numbers. Service in Merchant Navy 1938 - 1941. Signed on South Shields 1938 San Quirino. Final discharge Montevideo ( as far as I could decipher) June 1941 (Ill health) Ship Number 164405.
    I have always wondered about the two different numbers. Verified at Kew. Same name, DOB and family address on both sets of cards.

radstockjeff

Valman

Hi Rebecca,

l've just read somewhere but can't find the website again :-) that if the seaman lost his ticket he was given a new number, maybe that's what happened, as he appears in the earlier series of BT documents but not in the later ones under his original ticket number, but then seems to appear with a different christian name but with the right details and place of abode when not at sea, the second name is his brothers, so something strange happened l think.

Valman.

Valman

HI Peter

Yes that's what seems to have happened, l worked at the archives in Kew for many years and can remember how complicated these BT registers were to follow, but l found the documents are now available on FMP and he's included under his oiginal number in 2of the registers in the first series but not in the later ones which he should have been as he was still at sea in 1845, but then under a different ticket number there's another name mentioned which is his brothers but with the details of my GGGrandfather, so l'm confused to say the least.

Valman

Valman

Hi Radstockjeff,

l think they did give the seamen a different number at times if they lost their ticket or had other reasons, my one though is a mystery which l think needs more investigation, maybe a visit to Kew is on the cards.

Valman