gerald.peckham

Default WW1 and Charles Alfred Peckham

My grandfather Charles Alfred was born between 1885 and 1897. He was Married to Margaret Rees and lived at 13 Sandon Place, Newtown, Cardiff. They had 2 or 3 children before 1914 and went on to have 13 in total after 1918.

I would love to discover what his WW1 experience was.

None of my aunts and uncles are alive now. There is one photo of him in uniform (I have uploaded this to the site) and one as an old man. It seems that he never spoke of it and kept himself to himself.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi,,do you mean born between 1895-1897 ?

where is the photo?

THERE ARE 2 RESULTS FOR Charles A Peckham in the medal cards for WW1

Medal card of Peckham, Charles A

Hampshire Regiment 1787 Private
    Hampshire Regiment 305506 Private

Medal card of Peckham, Charles A

Rifle Brigade S4325 Private

If you have a photo,,,we can compare these results with the uniform and see if we have a match,,,,this at least may tell you which regiment he was in,,,you can then look to see if his service record survives.

There are 13 medal cards for Charles Peckhams on Ancestry, one is for a Charles A. Peckham. He was with the Hampshire Regt, Pvte no 305506.
    However, there is also a WW1 service record for a Charles Alfred Peckham, b abt 1887. He's married to Margaret Ann Rees, and they were living in Cardiff. Surviving records are pretty rare. 18737 LCpl. He was with the 109th Railway Co R.E.
    I assume that you don't have a subscription for Ancestry. Your local ibrary might have one, or you could take out a 1 month sub or use pay per view.

gerald.peckham

Thanks for your help. I will try to find his dob. I have been unable to upload the photo to this reply,sorry.

gerald.peckham

Thank you Lesley, that's brilliant. It' definitely him. I'm not surprised at him being in the Railway Co R.E. since most of my family, both sides, were associated with the docks in Cardiff. His father came to Cardiff for work in the 19th century. Both were labourers on the docks working in coal transportation. My own father, as a Tug Boat Skipper, was employed by British Transport Docks, which included the railways.

gerald.peckham

thanks again, really appreciate your contribution