gerald.peckham

Default No luck with Forces War records

I've tried variations of my grandad's name but no reference to his WW1 service record. Where can I look next?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hello & welcome

Pllease post what you know about your grandfather, i.e full name / date or year of birth /place of birth and any census references you have for him

Reputation beyond repute

Where can I look next?
    Have a read of the National Archives Research Guide and follow their advice. Note particularly the information about the survival of records.

gerald.peckham

Many thanks, I will do as you suggest.

gerald.peckham

Many thanks. I will do as you suggest.

Hello Gerald.

Please state on this forum what information you know about your grandfather and I will have a good search to see what info is available for you. There are many sources out there to try and we can try and piont you in the right direction.

gerald.peckham

Thank you for your interest. I have discovered via this forum (though not in the list of threads) that my grandad, Charles Alfred Peckham was born abt.1887. Married to Margaret Ann Rees. Lived in Cardiff. He was 18737 LCpl. With the 19th Railway Co. R.E.

A fountain of knowledge

AS the TNA guide will tell you -since up to 70% of service records are gone for good for this period, you are in the vast majority who won't find a service record per se.

Usually all that can be found easily is a medal index card, sometimes a silver war badge listing, and if a gallantry award was issued a listing for that also.

I'm glad to hear that the lovely members of this forum were able to help you with your search. If you get the chance it is well worth reading/looking at the War Diaries that are held in the National Archives, Kew. These give a wonderful insight into the actions, movements, battles, orders etc day to day from the start to the end of the war, for your Granddad you will need to view the file:
    19 Railway Operating Company Royal Engineers.
    Reference: WO 95/4932
    Date: 1916 Aug. - 1919 Apr.
    see: https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=C7361025