Thread: A challenge

Default A challenge

This is a challenge not only of your eyesight but your ability to navigate the new FMP website

For those with subs, could you go into the Westminster Collection and have a look at the marriage of Timothy FLANEGAN to Mary COLDITS in St.James the Less on 1 August 1802. You will need to do this on FMP as the Ancestry one from the LMA is a different record of the same event and only records the names.

The first witness I THINK is Hy (ie Henry) FLANEGAN but I stand to be corrected as to the first name. I can't read the other witness at all and indeed am unsure whether it is one name or whether there are two further witnesses!

The FLANEGAN witness makes me hope that all the witnesses were family, as I can't track down the rest of the family. Timothy and Mary (he was a gunsmith) had four children when they emigrated to the Cape in 1820 and I can't find any of them!
    Mary Anne 15 (all ages in 1819)
    James Frederick 10
    Arthur Stephen 7
    Elizabeth 3
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

I did take a look, Sue, but my eyesight is not as sharp as it used to be. To me the witness names look like Flanegan and Flanegan, the first maybe as you thought HY, the second is possibly Hannah. That's my best effort, others' I'm sure will come along with their interpretations soon.

Very quick off the mark.

Not sure about the first name of the first witness but the second one looks like Hannah Flanegan.

The image seems to appear twice and one is bigger and clearer than the other.

Maggie

I couldn't decipher the names but there is a Flanegan tree on My Heritage.com giving all the info on the children.

Thanks to all. Now that I look at it again it does very clearly seem to say Hannah Flanegan. Sometimes it's necessary to take time away from the screen!
    Sue Mackay

I wonder now if the first name shouldn't be Ns, short for Nicholas. I have discovered that Timothy's South African death notice lists his father as Nicholas, and there is a marriage of a Nicholas FLANEGAN to a Hannah WAKEMAN in St James the Less in 1792. No status is given for Nicholas, but I think he was probably a widower, as Timothy was born ca 1782. I have also looked at the will of Nicholas FLANEGAN, but he just leaves everything to Hannah!
    Sue Mackay

MythicalMarian

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Mackay View Post
    I wonder now if the first name shouldn't be Ns, short for Nicholas. I have discovered that Timothy's South African death notice lists his father as Nicholas, and there is a marriage of a Nicholas FLANEGAN to a Hannah WAKEMAN in St James the Less in 1792. No status is given for Nicholas, but I think he was probably a widower, as Timothy was born ca 1782. I have also looked at the will of Nicholas FLANEGAN, but he just leaves everything to Hannah!
    Sue - just had a look at this. The first witness is simply N. Flanegan. Over the years I've collected quite a few marriages where the witnesses just sign with their initial and surname.