Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scottish regiments

Is there a way to find out which regiment a boy would have enlisted in , if you only know his dob and home town?

Reputation beyond repute

Depends when he was enlisted and when he was discharged.

When did this all happen? If it's WW1, you could try the medal cards database (as long as it's not a seriously common name) and see if you can work out which card is his. If he joined for he African wars, you might find him in the 1911 census.

Reputation beyond repute

Also there's some advice here when you don't know the regiment.

Thanks for the help. My great grandfather was called Robert Andrew Henderson which is about as common as it gets. All the looking up I have done gives me too many options with no way of narrowing them down.
    Any suggestions?

Reputation beyond repute

Date and place of birth?

And how do you know he joined as a boy?

Thanks for taking time to reply. I don't know anything about his military history or even if he had one, but it is the last piece of a jigsaw that I have been working on for 30 years. Family rumours say that he was in India. He was born 28.6.1864 at 34 London street Glasgow.
    At the time of his marriage in Edinburgh in 1893, he gives his usual address as Newcastle upon Tyne and his profession as an upholterer.
    In the 1901 census, he and his family were in Dundee.
    The 1911 census shows him in Kirkcaldy, where he spent the rest of his life as a furniture retailer and upholterer.
    I suspect he would have been too old for WW1.

Reputation beyond repute

I don't know anything about his military history or even if he had one
    In that case I'm a bit puzzled by the question.

Have you looked in the intervening census returns? I can see in the 1881 census a Robert A Henderson, born Glasgow abt 1865, apprentice upholsterer but not knowing his parentage I've no idea whether he's yours.

I will take a look. Thanks for the advice.

Which census did you look at? I have tried scotlands people and uk census online and can't find the link? It sounds as though you may have the right one. His parents were Mary Henderson MS Blair and Walter Henderson who was a commercial traveller. Thanks for your time and trouble!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast