Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Find My Past has an 8 page/image record for a -
    Name -Robert Rutty
    Born - Parish of Calne
    Year of birth - 1820 (derived from age at attestation)
    Date of Attestation - 9 Feb 1838
    Age at Attestation - 18yrs 10 mths
    Regiment - 21st Regiment of Foot (Royal Scots Fusiliers)
    Number - 1045
    Period served - 11 years 17 days
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Reputation beyond repute

I was intrigued as to why he is listed as a Chelsea Pensioner
    It was the usual way at that time to describe an army pensioner - Chelsea administered pensions in those days - it doesn't mean he was an inmate of the RH.

Helachau has located his service record for you.

It may help you to avoid wrong turnings if you know where to find the National Archives advice. From their home page follow the Support for your Research link and then the Looking for a Place/Person/Subject as appropriate. Looking for a Person is what genealogists use more often than not.

Of the 11 years 17days served, 9 were spent in the East Iindies - dates not specified.
    He was invalided out as part of a directive to "reduce the size of the establishment"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    It was the usual way at that time to describe an army pensioner - Chelsea administered pensions in those days - it doesn't mean he was an inmate of the RH.

Helachau has located his service record for you.

It may help you to avoid wrong turnings if you know where to find the National Archives advice. From their home page follow the Support for your Research link and then the Looking for a Place/Person/Subject as appropriate. Looking for a Person is what genealogists use more often than not.
    Hi Peter,

This is why I'm glad I joined this Forum, just starting out there is a lot for me to learn

Any good books to recommend for beginners ?
    Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Of the 11 years 17days served, 9 were spent in the East Iindies - dates not specified.
    He was invalided out as part of a directive to "reduce the size of the establishment"
    Hi helachau,

Thanks for that, I've paid for an Ancestry subscription and there is nothing on there about his military service

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12