Brick wall demolition expert!

Default The Genealogist.co.uk

Has anyone any experience with this site?

I am looking for a replacement for one I will not name, but which is still keeping me locked out ....

Thanks
    Megan

I find them very good for non conformist records, and they have images for PCC wills as well. I've never used them for census searching so can't comment on ease of use in that area.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Wilkes_ml

I tried them, thinking that the "parish registers" they had were the actual images but they weren't. Apart from the PCC wills, I didn't find anything else that was useful to me. I'm past the stage of Census & BMD indexes, so for me both Ancestry & FMP suit my needs better as they have more pre-1837 parish registers. Ancestry also has PCC wills.

It really depends on what you need.

thewideeyedowl

Default Unimpressive

I took a free trial with The Genealogist about 18 months ago, but pulled out after ten days because I found the site unimpressive and the required sub for Diamond level was (in my view) huge.

Censuses: fair-to-middling. You can search by occupation, which is a nice touch, and they claim that the quality of their images is better than anyone else's.

BMDs: Deaths are very poor - I forget the cut-off date, but I was very unimpressed and cited that as a major reason for pulling out of the free trial.

Other records: The Non-Conformist ones would now - potentially - be useful, but I am not rushing..... Many of their other records are very 'niche', or at least no good to me, e.g. no knights in my lines.

Newspapers etc: limited selection, but they have got The Illustrated London News.

Help pages: not a patch on FMP when I did my free trial with that one last December. (But anyone requiring help, would always be well advised first to check out the Research Guides on TNA, the advice pages on SoG (Society of Genealogists), and of course our own BritGen Getting Started pages.)

So much depends on what datasets you need for your own researches; then how you yourself get on with the site. Though I did not take a sub with The Genealogist, I have to admit that I did eventually take out a six-month sub with UK Census Online (its little brother) so that I could have access to census and BMD data.

Incidentally, there is a discount on a sub to The Genealogist in this month's Lost Cousins Newsletter (April 2014); time-limited, so get clicking!

Owl

PS S&N, the people behind the site, also do a lot of data CDs, so if they had something that was just right for you a one-off purchase might be cheaper and more useful (?).

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Hi Megan,
    I have used THE GENEALOGIST for a number of years, I have found records in the Census that other sites cant find, but no site is 100%, their Birth, Deaths and Marriages I find very good, but again I have found many mistakes, these records are up to 2005, so are very good for finding live cousins and the like you did not know you had.

Over all, if you can get a discount on the subscription, go for it, as long as it covers the period your interested in.
    Robert

Wilkes_ml

Just an update to let you know that The Genealogist is doing a "cash back" offer, where you get £50 back if you complete a form and show proof that you have purchased a subscription on a competitors site...so the cost for "The Genealogist" becomes £69.45 and offer expires at the end of April.

I am not sure if this offer is open to everyone, or just those who have subscribed or used a free trial in the past and didn't take out a subscription due to the cost, especially if, like me, you have multiple subscriptions on the go.