Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: deRothschild?

Indigo_Child

Default deRothschild?

Has anyone ever found leads to the deRothschilds in Devon? My mother's maiden name was "deRothschild-Vanstone" and she always said I had a grandmother? great-grandmother? who was a Sephardic Jew from Spain. My great-grandfather did make a second marriage but it wasn't to a deRothschild.

Just one of my long list of questions about the family! Thanks

The Rothchild from Devon who appear on several Ancestry Com family tree back to the 1500s in Devon do not appear to have any connection to the Von Rothschild or De Rothschild the Jewish lines. These Jewish lines appear on the family tree on Wikipedia plus are well documented in other sources. For example in Berger 1861-70; 1871-80 there are numbers of references to the Von Rothschild line and the De Rothschild with connections to Montefiore; Cohen; Beyfus; Worms; Sichel lines.
    What other information do you have on your lines which suggests a link to the Rothchild of Devon or to the De Rothschild familiy?
    Phillip

Indigo_Child

All I have are my mother's marriage and death certificates which read: Rosemarie Edith Amy deRothschild-Vanstone (as her maiden name). Guess I'll have to do a name change search and find out when the deRothschild was added because it isn't on her birth certificate. In fact, her birth certificate reads "Edith Amy Mary Vanstone" and somehow morphed into the above. Just another one of the mysteries in the family tree I have to unravel!

Is your mother Edith D Vanstone born March qtr 1916 Bodmin 5c 89 - mothers's maiden name Sandy. Is she also the Rosemarie E A D E Vanstone ( De Rothschild) who married Guy Bowen April qtr 1941 Hendon Middx 34a 1578. Somewhere along the line she appears to have adopted the De Rothschild for whatever reason as you say. There is an Ancestry Com family tree for the Bowen line but it is private and it does have your mother.
    Phillip

I can see your previous posts regarding your mother and her use of names. Are your mother's parents Winnifred Foley and Edgar Vanstone?
    Phillip

Indigo_Child

Yes, that's correct. Edgar T. R. born March 5, 1885, died April 12, 1933. Winifred Mary born June 13, 1881, died November 28, 1955. Married 3rd quarter, 1912. Had 3 children that I know of: Edward, Rosemarie, Roger.

Indigo_Child

No, my mother was born October 20, 1916 registration district St. George Hanover Square subdistrict Belgrave but she did marry Guy Bowen in 1941. Her mother's maiden name was Foley (Edward Piner = father and mother was a Stripling)

I bet it's one of my American cousins with the private Bowen family tree. My great-uncle Harry was the Bowen family "person" when I was a child. My sister is now keeper of the Bowen tree for we two at least. To know my mother's maiden name would have to be a cousin though however we've lost contact over the years. Maybe I'll go on Ancestry.com and leave a message regarding the Bowens. The Bowen family tree on my father's line is a bit mixed up because my g-g-gf married three different sisters, my grandparents took in their siblings' children and raised them etc. All very tangled.

I hadn't been able to dig up the registry info and I appreciate you looking that up. Difficult when records are sealed for 100 years to access much of the information after the 1911 census!

Answering some of your earlier questions on other sites- you could change your name with relative ease in the UK some years ago- see name change legality UK regarding past and current situation. The Benjamin Thomas Vanstone b 1864 died 1943 was married to a Mabel Grace ( maiden name requires confirming) according to both of their probates. You mentioned in another post the possible connection between Mabel and the De Rothschilds as stated by a genealogist- do you have any proof.
    Was your mother married/divorced prior to her 1941 marriage? I have looked in the London Gazette for any records regarding name changes and other information but can't see any. The UK National Archives may have data but there are limitations on records for data protection as you know.
    Phillip

You also asked about Jewish Cemeteries in Devon; South West of England- see Jewish Cemeteries of Devon- Helen Fry; JewishGen- Exeter Cemetery; Cemetery Scribes site
    Phillip

Probably no connection but I do have my Anglo Jewish Crawcour link to a Foley line- see BG Jewish Roots Post 27.12.2011- Louisa Nathan/Foley/Crawcour.
    Phillip

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast