p80644

Default RFA Camberwell - 33 Division - B/156 Brigade

My grandfather was No 11646, Bombardier Frederick William Blute R.F.A. B/156 Bdg, he was admitted into the 7th Stationery Hospital, Wimereux, France on the 6th April 1918 with shell wounds and suffering from the effects of mustard gas.
    The original Divisional artillery was designated "Camberwell", as it was raised there by the Mayor and a committee between January and June 1915. Initial assembly and training took place in Dulwich. It joined the Division at Bulford between 5 and 8 August 1915. However the artillery did not proceed to France with Division. Instead, it took the artillery of the 54th (East Anglian) Division. 33rd Divisional artillery crossed to France and rejoined its Division in December 1915.
    I am trying to find out what Hotel the 7th Stationery Hospital in Wimereux, France was stationed at, I would appreciate any help or would love to hear from anyone whose relatives may have been in the same Hospital/division/brigade.

Reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the War Diary for the 7th Stationary Hospital?

Reference: WO 95/4101
    Description: 7 Stationary Hospital
    Date: 1914 Aug. - 1919 June
    Held by: The National Archives, Kew
    Legal status: Public Record

p80644

Hi Peter, Many thanks for replying. are these War Diaries on-line? I have tried to look up records on-line before, but I just keep going round in circles. If not then I think I need to take a trip to Kew.

p80644

Hi Peter, I just logged on to the The National Archives, the record for 7 Stationary Hospital has not been digitalised but I was able to request a quote to have part of it printed and sent to me. I will let you know when I receive the record, many thanks for your help, very much appreciated.

Reputation beyond repute

Trouble is you don't really know which part of the file might list the hotel(s) used or even whether they were listed at all. A personal visit might be best or an independent researcher if you can't get there yourself. Still, we'll see what the Archives say.

p80644

There was a comments box on the request form so I did quote the range of date that I was interested in so fingers crossed. If not I may have to make the journey to Kew. Once again, many thanks.