Powerstock

Default Frederick Hubert Reg TRAVERS - HMS Bulwark

Can anyone help with information about Fred Travers who died in an explosion on board HMS Bulwark at Sheerness in November 1914? Our Parish is researching all 11 of the men on our war memorial who did not return from WW!. Grateful for any background information about his service career, family etc.

CWGC gives him as Leading Stoker number K/6012, dies 26 Nov 1914 age 25, son of the late Ernest & Mary Travers of Loders, Dorset.

The Naval Casualties Roll adds that he was born 22 Sep 1889 in Bridport, Devon, and his next of kin was Myrtle Travers of 132 Allington Rd, Bridport.

I think that his parents are the couple given as Ernest Edgar Travers and Mary Ann E Harris, married in Bridport in 1886.

There's an Ernest Travers with wife Elizabeth Mary living in Loders Village, Bridport in the 1891 census with 3 daughters and a son callesd Frederick HR aged 1,born Loders that I think is them. Dad's an ag lab. They're also in the 1901 with another girl and 2 boys.

It looks as though something happened to the parents between 1901 -1911.
    I can't find Myrtle, though.

Have found Fred in the 1911. He was a Stoker, 2nd classon HMS Prince of Wales with the Atlantic Fleet at Gibraltar. Age given as 26, birthplace Bridport.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

Powerstock

Thank you very much for that.