tracyhay

Thumbs up Oswestry Shropshire 1853

This is my first research post so hope you can help. I am researching my great grandmother Catherine. She was born in Oswestry Shropshire around 1853 and may have had the surname Murphy but I am not sure about this. She was married to Patrick Oconnor, born in Ireland, I presume around 1875 because the first child was born 1876 and the last in 1894. She had 10 children.
    She lived in Widnes, Cheshire with Patrick. He was an alkali worker, a labourer and a hawker. I would like to know what her surname really was before marriage so that I can find her parents and go a little further back.
    Any help would be great!
    Thanks
    Tracy

Reputation beyond repute

Don't try and jump too far ahead of yourself. Work systematically backwards one generation at a time gathering evidence as you go.

What that means in this case is that you need to get the birth certificate of one of those 10 children. Hopefully they didn't all slip through the net. The birth certificate should tell you the parents' full names including the mother's maiden names (actually it should tell you all the mother's previous surnames if this applies).

When you have this information you can look for the marriage. When you have the details of the marriage, you can look for her birth.

Ken_R

The 1891 reference is RG12, Piece 3013, Folio 17, Page 27.

On LancsBMD I've found most of the younger children registered Widnes, Lancashire, but with the surname CONNOR

Unfortunately, none that I have looked at shows a mother's maiden name.

It's a case of trawling through the GRO index and finding a suitable one to send off for.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I see that you live in New Zealand, so you will need to use one of the on line sites that have the England and Wales Birth Indexes. I would start with FreeBMD, although you need to know that that they may not have transcribed 100% of the records yet. If you don't find what you are looking for there, then you will need to pay one of the commercial sites that have the registers.

Once you have identified the record you will need to make a note of:
    Year
    Quarter
    Registration district
    Volume
    Page number

With those details you can then apply on line to General Registry Office to purchase the certificate at a cost of £9.25. Only use the official UK Govt site (Passport Office) at https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...es/default.asp

If you use one of the other sites they will charge you a lot more.

tracyhay

Thanks, I will do this, Tracy

tracyhay

Yes, thank your very much for looking for me, Tracy

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

Hi,,Heres one to consider

Patrick Connor to Catherine Connolly 1874 Prescot district,,,,,,,,Prescot covers Widnes

1871 census Willow Street Oswestry

Edward Connoley b 1823 fishmonger b Ireland,County Mayo
    Bridget Connoley b 1831 b Ireland,County Mayo
    John b 1855 b Oswestry
    Thomas b 1857 b Oswestry
    Edward b 1867 b Oswestry
    Catherine b 1854 b Oswestry
    Mary b 1859 b Oswestry
    Sarah b 1868 b Oswestry

1861 census Willow Street Oswestry

Edward Connoly b 1826 fishmonger b Ireland
    Bridget Connoly b 1831 b Ireland
    Kitty Connolly b 1853 b Oswestry
    John Connolly b 1855 b Oswestry
    Thomas Connolly b 1857 b Oswestry
    Amy Connolly b 1845 b Oswestry

tracyhay

Thank you. Can I ask where you found this record. I am looking through Ancestry but drawing blanks??

hi,,i am using findmypast,,,,,,as you can see their surname is different in each of the census I posted,,,,that is how they were transcribed,,,,,maybe Ancestry have them transcribed differently,,,,try searching with a wildcard/variation for the surname.