Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Indigo_Child

Default Squadron leader (?) Vanstone

I have a photo of my uncle (?) , (first name unknown) Vanstone showing a Spitfire to King George VI. On the back it's written that he was my mother's brother, died in Greece. Someone years ago said that the bars on his uniform showed he was a squadron leader.

I'm not even certain if his last name is actually "Vanstone" because I have searched all the family connections even to checking grandparents children's children etc. and absolutely NO trace of him. Can anyone help?

Thanks to anyone who can help me give this man a name and his well-deserved place on my family tree. He's one of my family "orphans" - three days ago found and identified another family "orphan" and I'd like to solve this mystery.

Just a possibly daft idea, but royal visits often get press coverage. Have you tried searching the old papers on a combination of the king and "spitfire"? If this was WW2, such visits were intended to raise morale, so you may get lucky and find a report naming him...

Indigo_Child

I had a "Well, D-U-H..." moment this morning because someone on this forum went to the trouble of searching newspapers in the year, month and place that my grandfather died. S/he sent me the newspaper article and it helped to greatly narrow the cause of death. Your idea again mentions newspapers and since I'm not one to tempt fate by ignoring the Good Fairy of Genealogists smacking me upside the head and yelling "Check the Newspapers woman!!!", guess what today's endeavour will be!!?

Indigo_Child

I'm going to try to insert the photo I'm talking about. First time I tried this and not sure if this image will come out so be patient with this newbie!

ross_mcneill

Squadron Leader John Woodburn Gillan - later Wing Commander, DFC and Bar, AFC, killed 29th Aug 1941 and buried in Dunkirk Town Cemetery.

It's a Hurricane not Spitfire. The whole scene can be watched on this news reel at approx. time mark 00.45

https://www.itnsource.com/jp/shotlist...407230529/?v=0

Ross

John Woodburn Gillan -
    Father - the Rev David H Gillan, retired to Edinburgh, last ministry Golspie, Sutherlandshire
    Grand father - The Rev George Green Gillan, served in India, was minister at Carmunnock Parish Church, near Glasgow
    Greatgrandfather - The Very Rev J. Gillan, moderator of the Church of Scotland

(1938 report of his world record flight Edinburgh to London)

Mother - Mrs Helen Gillan
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The report mentions "2 uncles in Glasgow" -

The 1937 will of Sir Godfrey P Collins granted probate to (amongst others) William Woodburn Gillan, Glasgow

Indigo_Child

Thank you, thank you, THANK you to all of you! You are completely awesome!! I have been searching for this man's identity for 10 years!! Now the question remains as to why on the back of MY photo it says this is the BROTHER of my mother Rosemarie E A Vanstone!! THe "India" part for the grandfather may help because my mother spent a number of years in India (and Oh, all the meals of fiery hot Indian curry we her children suffered through!!). At least I have a good starting point though to figure out how he fits into the family tree.

Thank you!

British India Records - Marriages.

By Banns, 20 Jan 1904, St Andrew's Church, Calcutta, Solemnized according to the Rites of the Scottish Church
    David Hedley Gillan, age 35, Profession Chaplain, Residence Allahabad, Father George Green Gillan
    Helen Drummond, age 28, Spinster, Residence Calcutta, Father James Drummond
    (Note - father's occupation was not captured on this form)

British India Records (from original image)
    Born- 4 Jul 1907
    Bap - 15 Aug 1907
    John Woodburn Gillan
    Parents - David Hedley Gillan and Helen Gillan (mother's maiden name not asked for on document)
    Place of Birth - Calcutta
    Father's Profession - Junior Chaplain Ind-ent (?) Estab
    Solemnized at - Naini Tal

An Iris Mary Gillan was baptised the same year in India - father Robert Woodburn Gillan. He had a distinguished Indian career.Possibly he and John's father were cousins? Have seen elsewhere that Robert Woodburn's father was also a Robert.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast