patricia56

Default Constances Road, Camberwell Workhouse, death

Hello, wonder if anyone can help with this, Have found my great grandfather'John Scutt' passing on 19th Sepember 1907 in this workhouse, and says buried by friends.

This is strange as he had a wife and his address is listed (wife and family at this point still living here) he also leaves over £1,800. pounds to my great grandmother.

How can I find out why he is there, is he a 'guardian' and why buried by friends, tried on google but guardian names not coming up for this workhouse, the master at the time was Henry C Fenton.

All help with this appreciated.

jac65

Hi

it sounds like he died in the Workhouse Hospital rather than actually being a resident of the Workhouse. Also could the 'friends' be the Quakers. I believe that Friends is an alternate name for Quakers.

Andy

patricia56

Hi Yes I thought he could have died there as patient or maybe as a guardian(working there) unsure as to what friends could be , they were not quakers, and having the money he left to his wife could well afford to have himself buried by family, thank you for your reply.

Pat

Reputation beyond repute

He just died in the workhouse infirmary, that's all. The significance of "friends" is just that he didn't have to be buried at public expense.

Surviving records of the Constance Road Institution are at London Metroplitan Archives and King's College Archives.

You may like to read this article on how the workhouse infirmaries developed into something like real hospitals and the precursors of today's general hospitals.

patricia56

hi Peter, Yes I did think that as they were not poor or well off, had a little money at the time, and will look at the article you have recc.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post

You may like to read this article on how the workhouse infirmaries developed into something like real hospitals and the precursors of today's general hospitals.
    A fascinating article, Peter, which I had not seen before. Thanks for the link.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids