Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default 4th Duke of Sutherland in census?

Some of my ancestors worked for the dukes of Sutherland and want to find them in the census. I had intended to start with the 4th Duke, Cromartie Sutherland-Leveson-Gower, and work backwards, but I can't find them!! Any help please?

MythicalMarian

Try this:

HO107 piece 739 folio 3/14 page 20

My Millicent St. Clair-Erskine married Cromartie, but you will find the 2nd Duke here, I think.

Tip - if looking for a peer in the census, it's always best to look for the title as the surname. He won't be down under Leveson-Gower.

I should add - his servants extend over almost 4 pages
    Last edited by MythicalMarian; 28-03-2014 at 8:01 PM. Reason: can't write 2nd

Also, when looking for servants of the rich, remember that their employers generally had several houses, and many of the staff travelled with them, even when visiting others. They can pop up at cmpletely the wrong end of the country!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

MythicalMarion how do I go about searching for that? I have ancestry and am not familiar with searching for specific "pieces"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

how do I go about searching for that? I have ancestry and am not familiar with searching for specific "pieces"

MythicalMarian

If you want a quick short-cut on that infamous new search page, just put Duke for the forename, Sutherland for the Surname and 1786 in the year of birth. Fill in the 'Place your ancestor might have lived' as London, England. This should bring it up for you. He's at his London residence which was Stafford House.

ETA: If you're looking for your ancestors at a later date, you can find the 3rd Duke in the 1881 census, also at Stafford House in London.