Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Walter B Mahoney

I'm looking for a Walter T Mahoney born about 1858 in Greenwich. I've found him on the 1861 and 1871 census living with father John and Mother Margaret. John was born in Cork. I can't seem to find him on the 1881 or the 1891 census. He married Elizabeth Evans in 1889. I did pick Walter up again on the 1901 and the 1911.
    Anyone can spot him for 1881 and 1891 i'd be very grateful.

Brick wall demolition expert!

I can't spot him in 1881, but 1891:
    Piece: 280 / Folio: 140 / Page: 37 - 24, Charlotte Street, Whitechapel

He's a married lodger but his wife does not seem to be with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    I can't spot him in 1881, but 1891:
    Piece: 280 / Folio: 140 / Page: 37 - 24, Charlotte Street, Whitechapel

He's a married lodger but his wife does not seem to be with him.
    Thanks Megan although the name and where is was born matches up, his year of birth doesn't. So not sure. He was definitely born about 1858.

Reputation beyond repute

his year of birth doesn't.
    Susan

Don't fall into the trap of trusting the transcription without looking at the original.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Ages often vary depending upon who asks and who answers the question. I am sure that this is the correct person because if you search the birth records 1855-1865 for a Walter T Mahoney born Greenwich, there is only one and that is in 1857 Qtr Dec Vol 1d Page 546 registration district Greenwich.

As he was a lodger in 1891 then he was probably not the one answering the enumerator’s questions. And so errors can creep in through “Chinese whispers”. This census was taken in April 1891, when Walter would have been 33, so there is only a one year difference.

If you were looking for him in Ancestry in 1891, it would be difficult to find as they have transcribed his age as 72!

Yes i was looking for him on ancestry and as you say they have Walter as 72. I've had lots of census forms where the age, year has been a few years difference but 1819 to 1857 seemed too huge at the time of looking. But it looks as though someone may have tried to put a 3 over the top of the 7 on the original form. Thanks for your help.