Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MythicalMarian

Done it! Fingers crossed.

Knowledgeable and helpful

It has been confirmed today that the National Registration 1939 is finally going to be available online in about two years time.
    https://e.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazine...nOCrxd7P5f6/wv

I am very pleased at this news as I won a victory in getting access to the 1939 National Registration a few years after my success with the 1911 census.

Perhaps this news will re-assure those who doubt whether the campaign to open historic registers will succeed.

But we need your help.

Please sign the petition at
    https://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/62779

More importantly please email or write to your MP asking for their support for the Campaign to Open Historic Registers
    https://anguline.co.uk/ohrn.html

Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Sadly, as an Australian I can't sign the petition, , so I will instead send you my best wishes.

Indigo_Child

Wonderful idea but the site won't allow non-residents of Britain sign!! Don't know what the "traffic" is for people elsewhere in the world tracing their roots using British sources but it MUST have some effect on the amount of extra work being generated on British sources/resources!! If it wasn't for this forum and some dedicated OPCs my family tree would look like it's autumn in Canada (i.e. very few leaves on it!) instead of being in healthy shape!

Thanks to all who have signed the petition, it is still ongoing and I hope many, many more will sign in the future.

One point that should be noted if you are a British Citizen you should be able to sign no matter where you live in the world.

Anyone who wants to help who is not a British Citizen could help by contacting their own government.

The UK is for this year president of the G8 countries. The G8 is promoting an open data initiative; it is hypocrisy for the UK to promote open data for others whilst keeping 177 year old data closed to the public.
    A letter or email to your own government, if in the G8 could add extra pressure to promote change.
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Starting to feel at home

I am a British citizen who resides in Canada - I had no problem in signing the petition.

cheers

Pam

Indigo_Child

HINT for those of us whose country USED TO BE part of the British Empire. Before when I tried to sign the petition, when it asked if I was a British citizen I put "No" because I'm Canadian. I was stopped me from signing the petition right there. This time I put that I WAS a British citizen and it allowed me to continue. There was a bit of a hassle with the postal code but it APPEARS that I've signed because I received an email asking me to confirm the email was correct for the petition.

So even though we Canadians or Australians don't consider ourselves British citizens any longer check off that you ARE British. Might even work for any Americans on here - I mean it's only been a mere 238 years since you became independent of Britain! (lol!) The more signatures on the petition the more chance of having these records more accessible!
    Last edited by Indigo_Child; 17-04-2014 at 6:12 PM. Reason: added info

jac65

So you are quite happy to lie on an official petition to the British Parliament, and to encourage others to also do so, just so that you can potentially get some records cheaper and easier for your hobby. I'm a citizen of both the United Kingdom and of Australia, I haven't signed the petition because, not having lived there for nearly 50 years, I don't believe I should be telling the British Government how to spend taxpayers money, and I certainly wouldn't be happy if non-Australian citizens were trying to tell the Australian Government what to do.

The petition is, I believe, is flawed as it doesn't consider the fact that currently the GRO receive in excess of 6 million pounds per year for the sale of Historical Certificates, the proposal would substantially reduce this income stream and unless expenditure was reduced by a similar amount there would be a cost to taxpayers.

Whilst a check isn't made re eligibility when signing the petition there may well be checks done at a later date if it receives enough signatures to go to the next stage.

Andy

Indigo_Child

Having a bad day are you? So now that you've torn a strip off of ME, what do you think about PamG, a British citizen living in Canada signing the petition?

You mention you have dual UK / Australian citizenship. Since I highly, HIGHLY dislike people who can't commit to ONE country, I COULD say something nasty to you and question why you can't commit to be an Australian citizen. I too HAD dual Canadian / British citizenship however when I reached the age of majority here in Canada, I chose to be a Canadian only. What's your excuse?

The British Government decide who can or cannot sign the petition and they have made it perfectly clear they give the right for all British Citizens no matter where in the world they currently live the right to sign such petitions.
    Their website https://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/terms-and-conditions states-

"To create or sign an e-petition, you must be either:

a British citizen
    a resident in the UK (you normally live in the UK)"

Note I have emphasised either
    It is called democracy, and by the same token I fully acknowledge anyone's right not to sign if they do not wish to.

As to the matter of the petition not addressing "the fact that currently the GRO receive in excess of 6 million pounds per year for the sale of Historical Certificates," There is a limit on the number of characters one may use on the petition site.
    This means one cannot cover every aspect of the situation.
    If however you read the campaign website https://anguline.co.uk/ohrn.html you will see that has been considered.
    In fact using the figures compiled by Superintendent Registrars themselves removing the historic registers, as suggested by the campaign, would increase the revenue available rather than decrease the revenue.

One of the results of the campaign is that rather than spending taxpayers money it will save taxpayers money, it will also reduce burdens on both the GRO and superintendent registrars and enable cheaper and easier access to historic birth, marriage and death registers at no cost to the public purse.
    Cheers
    Guy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast