Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Birth/Baptism Records

I have, finally, got round to spending my 5 Euros for various birth and baptism records on line at The Irish Family History Foundation.

I'm hoping some experts here can clear up a couple of queries I have, please.

The birth/baptism records show each child has an 'extra' name. Some of the children went on to use the 'extra' name haphazardly on documents and often in the wrong order whilst others dropped the 'extra' name completely. Anyone know if there was some religious influence on this or was it just 'Irish'? The 'extra' names are quite odd: Aloysious, Augustine and the like.

Also, additional information is given as "sponsor/informant" and sometimes says "present at birth". The Registrar sometimes puts himself down under this heading. I presume this just means the sponsor/informant was the person who trotted along to the office and registered the birth?

Thank you.

With RC baptisms it is common to give the child a saints name (indeed it is effectively mandatory). So that’s usually the explanation for the extra name. (It’s not unique to Ireland. I know of Catholics in England who likewise have a saints name).

Where a sponsor is mentioned, then that indicates that the information comes from a parish record, not a statutory birth registration. The baptism of an RC child normally requires at least one sponsor (who would not be one of the parents).

“Present at birth” indicates the information came from a civil certificate, and obviously that the informant was present at the birth.

The format that the IFHF use is designed to accommodate information from different sources and consequently it can be confusing as to who supplied what information, when. Sponsor is used if it’s a baptism, and informant if it’s a civil registration. The Registrar himself can’t be the informant, so that doesn’t sound quite right. That site is famous for transcription errors. You would really need to see the original documents to clarify the information you have found.
    ELWYN

That explains quite a few things I'd wondered about - thank you.

I am slowly investing in the IFHF birth/baptism records but I take your point about transcription errors although it is nice to get the baptism date as well as the birth date.

I have sent for one birth certificate from Roscommon and once I see what arrives I'll decide whether to invest in buying more for the others.

Any other advice will be welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by AudreyF View Post

Any other advice will be welcome!
    If you are ordering from GRO Roscommon, be sure to order a photocopy at €4, not a formal cert at €20. All you are paying for there is posh paper.
    ELWYN

Thank you. I have ordered the cheaper option which will be fine for my purposes (a shame the 'English' GRO doesn't have the same policy) and am just waiting, patiently, for it to arrive.