Madcap

Default W A Metcalfe in RAF and Canada

There is one aspect of my family history that is proving to be something of a stumbling block probably because it is fairly recent and I am hampered by lack of knowledge. My father and two of his brothers were in the RAF though my father enlisted in 1927 I have no idea when the others did. I knew that my father had a mention in dispatches in 1943 as I still have the original card. One of his brothers uncle Bill aka William Arthur was a flying instructor seconded during WWII to the Canadian Air Force according to my late father. Likewise family lore stated that he married Monica - who was a daughter of the High Bishop of Montreal (if such is even likely?). Aside from knowing that Bill and Monica resided in the rather large Toronto area I know the names of 2 of their 3 children and nothing else. I tried seeking W or W A Metcalfe through the Forces War Records both for the RAF and Canadian branches but he appears to have not existed or his records have been lost though not knowing his service number is a handicap likewise there are no matches. What exactly am I looking for? Well I suppose ideally I'd like to make contact if nothing else though it is very probable that there is nobody to make contact with all things considered.

Hi Tim
    You won't find WW11 service records on line, they are still with the MOD.

You can apply for them on the Veterans UK site Here They explain just what you need to apply for them. Of course it is going to cost!

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi Tim, welcome in.
    A little more info would help us to help you. While remembering that we don't allow personal details of (potentially) living people to be posted on the open forum, names and birthdates (and places if you know them) help people stand out from the crowd.

Assuming that Bill & Monica stayed in Canada, you might find the experts you need lurking in our Canadian sub-forum.

I've had a quick look with Google and (assuming that the Catholic Bishop is eliminated) there were two WW2 Anglican Bishops of Montreal, as shown on the Diocese of Montreal's webpage. Arthur Carlisle was Bishop from 1939-1943, and John Harkness Dixon from 1943-1962. John Cragg Farthing was Bishop from 1909-1939 - it seems likely that his children would be too old to be involved. In your position, I'd check to see whether Carlisle or Dixon had a daughter called Monica, and if so, whether there's a marriage for her with a Metcalfe.

Canada GenWeb is HERE.

Madcap

Default Missing pieces?

Many thanks for your time and patience.

I had previously specifically looked at Toronto in Canada via Ancestry.com and not seen any relevant info. This time I entered William A Metcalfe and Monica with either of the two Bishop's surnames and just Canada. While absolutely no Monica Dixon or Carlisle popped up a Monica Forde 1921-1994 and William A Metcalfe 1913-1971 did for Burlington Canada in another persons tree.

It is still along shot as his parentage is wrong though that may just have been a frustrated guess? While his POB is within the right area and a year later than expected (no big deal it can be verified) all I have to do now is wait until the other person logs in assuming that they are still a member? But at the very least I now have something regardless of being questionable ;-)