Dirtybadgirl

Default BRUNEVAL RAID OR SORTES BY 51 SQUADRON

Hi there.. I am trying to research (and very new to this) info on a relative who served with the 51 squadron.. FLT/LT Thomas Leithead 977643 DFM I would like to find out if he was one of the crew members who flew on the Bruneval Raid as the period and squadron are right.. Can anyone point me in the right direction where I can find any info on this.. Or where I can find actual details of the sortes he flew on?.. Any help would be so appreciated!
    Last edited by Dirtybadgirl; 15-03-2014 at 1:26 PM. Reason: Spelling

Dirtybadgirl

Thank you so much Robert! Your help is very much appreciated, I have found most of this information online, but what I'm having trouble with is... Actually finding out if he flew on the Bruneval Raid.. The reasoning for this.. I am the one who has actually listed these medals on sale on behalf of a relative of Tommy... It came as a total shock when we originally listed them, never expected the response that we got.. We received some great information and advice regarding them and on that advice we relisted them for a more realistic value.. But this advice also advised us to research and find out if he flew on that particular raid as this would also have a big impact on their value, as Tommy's relative is the last in line in his family, he has decided he would like to sell them now, and I as a friend and several people who have helped me and advised me feel he should get a true value for them as these medals were well earned. .. So if i can find this information the medals will be more realistically priced... So its about how I go about finding out if he was there on that particular raid... But I will check out all the links you sent in hope I have missed something! Again a huge thank you for your response and help!

pippycat

You may already know, but Thomas Leithead appears to have two service numbers:

128409 as Flt Lt with 102 squadron
    977643 as a Sgt with 51 squadron (when he got DFM in 1942)

google: 'Thomas Leithead 102 squadron' for the info on him.
    google: '51 squadron war time memories' - brings up a list of operations in WW2.

Rebecca

.....beaten to it by Robert!

Dirtybadgirl

UPDATE:
    This morning I have found two pieces of information..
    I would upload pics but can't for some reason so will give the info..

I have a list from the 51 Squadron Operations Record Book.. On the list reads...

27th February 1942 - Z9425, Up 22:45, Down 00:52, Co-Operation Paratroop Training - Crew: Sgt Hughes, Sgt Thorton, P/O Helms, Sgt Leithead, Sgt Jackson
    (Part of 60 men from the squadron detached to Andover)
    I have also found this on the paradata.org.uk website, a page on Rifleman Hugh McIntyre who served on the Bruneval Raid and flew on the Whitley aircraft Z9425 flown by Sgt Hughes..

So can I conclude that Tommy was part of this mission? Any help gratefully appreciated!

BAGLINBRADY

Hello
    My grandmother is Lottie leithead (now Wood) who was married to Thomas when he died. She accompanied him to Buckingham Palace when he revived his DfM

I was talking to her about it and thought I would google him. She is not well and is 93 and I was really just replying to see if you had any other information on him.

It was tragic his death but what a brave and honourable man

Thanks