revdfg

Default Charles Gutteridge of Hathern 1801-1881

I believe Charles Gutteridge of Hathern to be my g.g.grandfather.
    From IGI I can locate his baptism as 5th Nov 1801, Hathern, the son of John Gutteridge and Sarah. He married Rebecca Brookes of Hathern in Loughborough on 2 May 1830. They had 3 children, Henry 1831, John 1835 (my g.grandfather) and Rowland (who died in infancy). It appears that Rebecca died sometime before the 1861 census as Charles is recorded in 1861 as Widower, age 58 lodging with Richard Barton of Nottingham Road, Loughborough. He is later recorded in the 1881 census as lodging with Mary Armstrong in Dovecot Street, Hathern. He is still widowerer and appears to have moved back to his town of birth. Also lodging at that address was Charles Hickingbottom (born abt 1841 Hathern). That same Charles Hickingbottom was informant at the registration of Charles Gutteridge's death on 29th Sep 1881.

Two requests:
    1. Could sks with access to Leicestershire 1841 or 1851 census please let me know what we learn about the family at those dates?
    2. Is there anyone who can establish something more about Charles parents, John Gutteridge and Sarah. Where and when were they born, where did they marry?

Perhaps someone can help me get back before Charles Gutteridge to John or earlier.

WaltonAus

Default john gutteridge

Hello, Looking on LDS for a marriage between John and Sarah in the period 1780 to 1800 in Leicester I could only see 1 possibility.

John Guttridge
    Ch: 27 JAN 1754 Walton On The Wolds, Leicester
    Father: Samuel Guttridge
    Mother: Ann Taylor
    Spouse: Sarah Lines
    Marriage: 21 JAN 1781

Source Information:
    Film Number: 457931
    *if this is the right family these are John's siblings all born Walton On The Wolds to Samuel & Ann.

1. Samuel Guttridge 27 AUG 1749
    2. Thomas Guttridge 04 JUN 1751
    3. John Guttridge 27 JAN 1754
    4. William Guttridge 14 MAR 1756
    5. Elizabeth Guttridge 05 JAN 1761
    6. Daniel Guttridge 01 JAN 1764
    7. Joseph Guttridge 12 JUN 1768
    8. Mary Guttridge 25 FEB 1759
    *and Samuel & Ann's marriage.

SAMUEL GUTTRIDGE
    Spouse: ANNE TAYLOR
    M: 13 NOV 1748 Walton On The Wolds, Leicester

Source Information:
    Batch Number: 7020413
    Sheet: 57
    Source Call No.: 0538495 Type: Film

Goog luck with your search.

Kind Regards
    Peter Euston

Reputation beyond repute

In 1851 Charles appears to be in Loughborough, a widower, together with his sons Henry & John. His occupation is shown as Fr W Knitter Marine Store (if you don't know what that means, shout).

Reputation beyond repute

He's also in Loughborough in 1841, occ Lacemaker, with the same two sons. No sign of Rebecca!

HO 107/595/9 f 52 p 29

Reputation beyond repute

I should have mentioned that his birthplace in 1851 is transcribed as Stathern but I think it does say Hathern.

Was the IGI baptism a patron submission? I dare say you'll be wanting to check that in the parish register as a matter of urgency (well, you know, genealogical urgency )

revdfg

Default Charles Gutteridge of Hathern

Thanks to both of you for your detailed replies.
    Since my post I have been exploring a further possibility. Hathern is on the Notts border so I looked for a marriage of a John Gutteridge to a Sarah in Nottinghamshire and found one fairly close in East Leake as follows:
    John Gutteridge bap 23 Aug 1767 East Leake, Notts,
    Sarah Cross bap 18 Mar 1770 Attenborough, Notts,
    married 25 August 1799, East Leake.
    But I think I must discount this possibility as I can find 3 children all baptised East Leake:
    Rebecca 19 May 1800
    William 3 Sep 1804
    Ann 28 Mar 1807

There is "space" for Charles Nov 1801 but the fact that Charles was baptised in Hathern seems to raise doubt that this is his family. So the odds are on that the John Gutteridge, Sarah Lines family is where John should fit. I'll see if I can get enough data to confirm this.
    Thanks again for the pointers.