Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    thewideeyedowl

Default Royal Waggon Train: waggons as 'ambulances'

I have just come across this confirmation that waggons used by the Royal Waggon Train doubled as makeshift ambulances during these wars. This is from a brief account of the retreat by Sir John Moore that ended in the Battle of Corunna (1809):

"...waggons provided from local resources broke down and the hired drivers deserted with their teams. Other waggons were too wide or inappropriate for the narrow roads. Additional horses had to be harnessed to pull these waggons thus reducing the overall number of supply waggons. The sprung waggons were used as ambulances with two men lying or eight men sitting."

I am grateful for the link that eventually got me there that was posted in a reply to the thread on the King's German Legion. I then found, via the wayback facility on https://www.web.archive.org, a further link to an old site on The Waggoners (who eventually morphed into the Army Service Corps). So this means that men in two of the different lines I am researching were doing the same job a hundred years apart.

One of the wonders of family history research is that you can never guess where the next lead is coming from!

Owl

begaar

RE: Michael Crumplin's book 'Men of Steel'.

Hi Owl Greetings from Aussie Land

here is a link to WorldCat that will give you where you can get that book on loan from a Library.
    Just type in an area that is close to you in the UK.
    I put England in and got heaps of libraries. I put this in the find box Men of Steel by Michael Crumplin.

https://www.worldcat.org/

Hope you are able to find one close to you

Regards
    Wayne

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12