Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

Default Parish records for Scotland

I have a Christopher Slater in my tree who was born 15th August 1810 in Pomona, Orkney Scotland. Pomona isn't used now but back then it meant the mainland of Orkney. I know that Christopher was a master Mariner, i've copies of two of his certiifcates of competency. He married Ann Curry 21st September 1836 in Liverpool. I have the names of children and their descentants. However i would like to know who Christopher's parents etc were. On his marriage certificate a witness was Margaret Slater but i've no idea who she was. I've tried to find out who i contact as regards parish records but with no luck. So if anyone has any ideas i'd be grateful to hear from them.
    If i don't reply to messages straight away i apologise it means i've had to go offline and i'll get back asap. Thanks.

Reputation beyond repute

I've tried to find out who i contact as regards parish records but with no luck
    ScotlandsPeople?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Can’t see a matching birth in Orkney on Scotlandspeople (nearest is one in 1814 in Shetland). Suggest you contact NRS to see what parish records survive for Orkney and where they are kept.

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk

Scotlandspeople only has Church of Scotland (ie Presbyterian) & RC records on its site. If the Slaters were Episcopalian or dissenting Presbyterians etc then those records aren’t on the site.
    ELWYN

Thanks Elwyn . I'll try that track.

Thanks Elwyn, I didn't know that. I suppose I should read the interesting facts and information that these sites have shouldn't I. I might learn a bit more

~sigh, I never read the blurb and I should~
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

When I want to know what's available for Scotland, my first stop is usually GENUKI. The amount of info provided for each county varies a bit, but Orkney's entry has a list of what's where here. It IS a little out of date - the hotlink to the page about the Free Church doesn't work.

Back in the 20th century, NAS (National Archives of Scotland) made the registers of the Church of Scotland and BMDs to 1875 available to the LDS for scanning and indexing. I keep Scotlands People costs down by first using Family Search to get an idea of what's there. Some of the less legible stuff is on SP but not FS, but that's unusual.

If Susan looks at our general Scottish forum, she'll find a collection of stickies I wrote about assorted scottish records, and how to use SP.

I've had a look at SP (both Catholic and CoS), and the nearest CS I can find was born 1814 in Shetland....

Sorry for the delay in thanking you Lesley. I'll plough on. Sometimes when i can't find an answer i leave the problem to sort something else out and sometimes, not alway's the answer to the first problem pops up.
    Thanks again.

Default Parish records for Scotland

I'm attempting to go back to this brick wall to see if anyone can help.
    There is a Christopher Slater, Gt Gt Grandfather to my Husband. He was a Master Mariner and on one of his Master's certificates it is stated that Christopher was born on the 15th August 1810 on the Isle of Pomona, Orkney Islands. I have found out that Pomona is an old word for mainland Orkney. I have tried on line looking at Scottish records for his Birth but the only Christopher Slater i can find is one born 19th June 1814 on Shetland. Our Christopher married Ann Curry on the 21st September 1836 at St Michael's church, Toxteth Park Liverpool. I have seen a copy of the marriage certificate on line but it's only a parish record so just names ages etc witness's Margaret Slater and Joseph Curry. I can't see what i can do about trying to find out who Christopher's parents were but thought i would ask if anyone has any ideas before i gave up on this one.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Susan,
    We allow only one thread per person in order to avoid wasted time caused by duplicated research so I've moved your new post about Christopher to your original one.

The parish register entry for Christopher and Ann's marriage is basically all you will get for an 1836 marriage because civil registration and marriage certificates as we know them didn't begin in England and Wales until 1 July 1837.
    If Christopher and Ann married by licence you might be lucky and find a marriage allegation but it's unlikely.
    https://www.york.ac.uk/media/borthwi...riagebonds.pdf

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Sorry Pam. I've been away so long from this side i had forgotten that i had put a thread on the Forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast