Thread: Seeking records

Zahonado

Default Seeking records

Well I was invited to join this site and did so believing that I would be able to see my relatives service records.There is no information here so I think it is not worth doing. The information there is is not complete and irrelevant...I know more than what is on this site. I think it is a waste of money

Zahonado

Ps Go to ww2talk.com.It is a site where people share their extensive knowledge for free.

Welcome to Brit-Gen Zahonado

As you see I have given your posts a thread of their own in the Military - General forum so that the original thread you posted does not influence the purpose of the thread for the member who posted the original query.

It seems that you started out on the Forces War records site and then clicked on the link over to BG which is a genealogy forum where our friendly helpful members help others with all aspects of their research.

You will find that any of the sites that carry Service records on line give you access to varying records depending on what they are licensed to carry or have been gathered by the site themselves.
    Ancestry has exclusive licenses for things like WW1 service records with The National Archives, FWR have the full transcripts and original images of the WW1 Jewry book of honour, all 3 (inc FMP) have the WW1 Royal naval divisions roll of honour by Jack Clegg- etc.
    This is fairly common amongst all of the sites and makes them all worth searching - just have a look at the sources acknowledgement, which are fairly easy to see on each site, to see just what records they hold, some of which do not require a subscription to access. It is a matter of taking some time to investigate just which sites hold which records.
    Be aware that WW11 service records have not been released by the Ministry of Defence(MOD) so you will not find them on line on any site. An explanation on how and where to order them is Here

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Please also read this thread
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Zahonado View Post
    Ps Go to ww2talk.com.It is a site where people share their extensive knowledge for free.
    people on this site also share their extensive knowledge for free ..........we really are a friendly helpful bunch give us a fair chance
    you could enjoy yourself

Hello sandiep

people on this site also share their extensive knowledge for free ..........we really are a friendly helpful bunch give us a fair chance
    you could enjoy yourself
    Thank you.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

As with all genealogy/pay sites it can well be a waste of money if you enter into things without doing some basic research and using the free facilities the sites offer.

If you've paid anything at all to FWR mistakenly assuming they'd have something they haven't then simply use the support system and I am sure they'll consider a refund, after all, no one has everything nor ever will have sadly.

FWR customer care is second to none however and where others wouldn't help, they certainly do.

Zahonado

Yes Sorry everybody, I didn't mean to have a go at this site which I did link into thinking it was the same as FWR, but I was frustrated at that point. I have been bombarded with messages saying sign up for FWR and find your relative and having done so came up with nothing.Anyway apologies. Zahonado

A fountain of knowledge

I think the main problem with FWRS automated notifications is that they work on 1st initial and name searched only.

I.e. if you're looking for anything which has a common surname you'll get loads of results, simply because the site adds up to 200,000 records every month, so it's sods law they'll be loads of smiths/jones/harris's etc.

I believe the development team there are looking into making the new record notifier far more focussed (i.e letting the user specify service and era for starters), but this'll take time unfortunately.

Well, now that you've joined us, Zahonado, why not tell us a bit about the person/people you're looking for and see whether our collection of experts (all volunteers I hasten to add) can help?
    If they're from WW2 or later, we're all still waiting for the MOD to release the records, but you never know.