Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

https://www.worcestershireregiment.co...ners_intro.php

see para entitled "Background History of the Royal Chelsea"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

thewideeyedowl

Many thanks to all for this further help, and in the sure way of these history researches it is throwing up more questions than ever...

First, though, I think we have probably managed to nail how out-pensioners were paid, which was the question that started it all. Second, I now need to establish beyond all doubt which Daniel Downer I need.

There are many Downers on IoW, several called Daniel and several called Barnabas. I am looking for Daniel father of Barnabas. The name appears as Barnabas/Barnabus/Barnabad/Barnaby/Barney, so it is keeping me busy. One Daniel served in the RWT and spent the last 30 or so years of his life in Kent, where he was a bricklayer (and sparked this thread); another slightly younger Daniel spent all his life on IoW and was an ag lab. I'll have to get the marriage cert for my Barnabas to sort out his father.

But sorting that out will be a task for later because I will be out much of this week.

Once again, a big 'thank you'. Swopping off.

Owl

Tried to send you a private message but unsuccessful - your PM box is "full".

Re Daniel, did wonder if the ex-soldier was the subject of the newspaper article or the other Daniel at Brading in the '51 Census. Spotted "Godshill" where the incident occurred and this is Daniel's PoB on his FMP military record.

Re "bricklayer"
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

thewideeyedowl

Default More on this Daniel Downer

Have now been able to read his Discharge papers. In 1818, he was made redundant because of Army cuts - the RWT was drastically reduced in size because the wars with France were over - and he also had a 'debility of the right shoulder'. (When he was 20, he had fallen from his horse while serving in Portugal and fractured his scapula.). It seems that he qualified for a pension because of this 'debility'. [See link for payment criteria in helachau's post.]

Before his military service, he had been a mason but afterwards he was a bricklayer. I'm not sure whether the Hampshire Telegraph report applies to this Daniel - annoying that it doesn't give his age. Nonetheless, this Daniel does get a criminal conviction: in July 1843, at Kent Assizes, he was found guilty of "Refusing to ayd Police" and sentenced to 14 days imprisonment. (Now I am wondering what exactly he had refused to do...)

One of my next jobs will be to sort out the different Daniels!

Helachau, thank you so much for all your input into this thread - the background stuff you unearthed has been really helpful. And please forgive me for letting my Inbox get toooo full. See this thread: https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...chive-messages; have now got it sorted, I hope.

Owl

Gosh I have learnt something new. How interesting about the payment of pensions, and so logical when you think for a minute
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12