Default Irish Joining the British Army 1815

Hi, i am wondering if they hold any more records for someone who joined the British Army 1815 in Cavan Ireland other than what is on the enlistment and discharge papers.I have a GG Grandfather who joined the 47th Regt Foot Lancashire, in 1815 for 12 years and then came to NZ as a Fencible Soldier in 1847.On his papers its stated that he enlisted in Denn, Cavan Ireland. He married in abt 1828, we assume Ireland.They were Catholic.We can't find any record of him anywhere apart from his military record. Could anyone advise me on how or where to look.I have had numerous people on sites looking up for me in Ireland, to no avail. He had quite a few children that were said were born Ireland,but can't find details of them either.also have lots of family trying to trace info, but they have found nothing either.thank you.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Statutory registration of births and of RC marriages did not start in Ireland till 1864. Prior to that you need to rely on church records. Not all parishes have records for the 1820s and 1830s and not all of the records are on-line.

Rootsireland (pay to view) probably have the most comprehensive collection but even they have many gaps.

If you know which parish the marriage or baptisms took place in you can see what records exists, and where copies are kept, using this link:

https://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/b...unties/rcmaps/

You’ll see that in the case of Denn for example, there are no RC parish records before 1856. It’s possible therefore that there are no records of the marriage or the births that you are looking for. If you think the couple had any children born outside Ireland (ie because he was posted to serve in say Gibraltar or some other garrison), then it’s worth checking the overseas births records at GRO Southport. They have British Army regimental records of births and marriages from 1761. (Details on Q1 on the FAQ on overseas events on this site):

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce...#FamilyHistory
    ELWYN