Thread: W E Norris

Aussie Shep

Default W E Norris

I have found a family member who was born in Finchley Middlesex in 1907 he moves to Bombay India in 1948 marries a woman (British subject) and they move to Spain in the mid 60's, he died in 1970 leaving no will. His wife moves to America.
    He did not leave a will as I said but his sister fought the wife in court for the estate in Spain and lost as the wife was entitled to it. how do I go about getting a death certificate and any information about the dispute?

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Look at the overseas death records on Findmypast ( my sub has expired). These events are kept seperate from those where the event occurs in the UK

If he left estate in the UK he would there may be a grant of probate, and news reports...if in Spain then ???

Aussie Shep

Thankyou I did a search on FMP and found his death in 1976 aged 68yrs.

A step in the right firection

You can order the certificate, if you want.....the entry will most probably have shown a country / month or registration quarter / volume and / or page number all needed for ordering purposes, this can be done via....www.gro.gov.uk cost £9.25 sterling

The site will also advise what you can expect to find on the death certificate entry

Once you have a date, you may then search for a Grant of Probate or Letters of Admons ( Administration) records, this is an application to administer the esatte , which in turn may lead you to the details of the dispute.

You could look at the London Gazette to see if a notice related to the estate has been posted. This is used when you are trying to establish any credits / debts due to / by the person. Particularly if the person appointed to deal with the estate knows very little about the financial affairs of the deceased.

Aussie Shep

I know that he did not leave a will; as, his sister wanted his property & assets. if I apply for grant of probate do they handle cases that were not in England?

As I understand it usually only if there was estate iin the UK

Just googling, the current advise is to make wills in the country where you have your property / assets. residence also plays a part....you are dealing with 38 years ago, when life was different!!!!!

I don't know if this will help, has some links.

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/e...ords#Marriages

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs