babybels71

Smile Gillard family Kingsbridge

I am looking for information on the Gillards of Kingsbridge and surrounding areas. I have hit a brick wall. I have the following info so far.

Cyril John Gillard-Grandfather born-1898
    John T Gillard -G/grandfather born-1871c
    Susan Gillard (nee Bardens)-G/grandmother born-1872

I need to research further back along the line. I believe there may be a Bristol link, also was wondering if there may be a link to the Gillard family from Mayo, Ireland.
    Any info would be a bonus.

Many Thanks
    Julie Gillard

AnnB

Hello Julie

This may be your John Gillard from the 1881 census which can be found at https://www.familysearch.org/

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
    Lavina GILLARD Wife (Head) M Female 44 Malborough, Devon, England
    John GILLARD Son Male 10 Malborough, Devon, England Scholar
    Albert GILLARD Son Male 6 Malborough, Devon, England Scholar
    Ernest GILLARD Son Male 5 Malborough, Devon, England Scholar

Dwelling Malborough Village
    Census Place Malborough, Devon, England
    Family History Library Film 1341525
    Public Records Office Reference RG11
    Piece / Folio 2182 / 76
    Page Number 2

and from the same source, this may be Susan Bardens

Name Relation Marital Status Gender Age Birthplace Occupation Disability
    Simon BARDENS Head M Male 51 Bigbury, Devon, England Fisherman
    Louisa BARDENS Wife M Female 33 Ringmore, Devon, England
    James H. BARDENS Son Male 13 Ringmore, Devon, England Farm Serv
    William S. BARDENS Son Male 10 Bigbury, Devon, England Scholar
    Susan BARDENS Dau Female 9 Bigbury, Devon, England Scholar
    John BARDENS Son Male 7 Bigbury, Devon, England Scholar
    Sarah J. BARDENS Dau Female 6 Bigbury, Devon, England
    Elizabeth A. BARDENS Dau Female 2 Bigbury, Devon, England

Dwelling Warren
    Census Place Bigbury, Devon, England
    Piece / Folio 2184 / 32
    Page Number 5

continued to avoid repeating text.....
    Last edited by AnnB; 26-08-2005 at 7:12 PM.

AnnB

....continued

From FreeCen at https://www.freecen.org.uk/ (which has complete transcripts of the Devon 1891 census)
    Piece: RG12/1717 Place: Kingsbridge-Devon Enumeration District: 8
    Civil Parish: Churchstow Ecclesiastical Parish: Churchstow
    Folio: 84 Page: 9 Schedule: 57
    Address: Coombe

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
    LAKEMAN James Head M M 39 Farmer(Em'er) Devon - Malborough
    LAKEMAN Rebecca Wife M F 41 Devon - Malborough
    LAKEMAN Lydia Mother W F 69 Devon - Malborough
    GILLARD John F Nephew S M 20 Farm Servant(Em'ee) Devon - Malborough
    BALL Dor S L Niece S F 12 Scholar Devon - Salco Female 9 Bigbury, Devon, England Scholar
    John BARDENS Son Male 7 Bigbury, Devon, England Scholar
    Sarah J. BARDENS Dau Female 6 Bigbury, Devon, England
    Elizabeth A. BARDENS Dau Female 2 Bigbury, Devon, England

Dwelling Warren
    Census Place Bigbury, Devon, England
    Piece / Folio 2184 / 32
    Page Number 5

Best wishes
    Ann

babybels71

Thumbs up Thank you

Hi AnnB,
    Thank You so much for taking the time to post a reply to me with regards to my search. I apologise for the 6 month delay, but I came across this website again by chance tonight and without realising I was already a member, see your kind replies.
    The John Thomas in first reply is my grandfather, but I'm still trying to find out who his parents where. I know he had a brother William and a sister Alice but thats as far as I have got.
    The Bardens mentioned in your second reply has added more to my tree.

Thanks again for your help.
    Julie Gillard

ELParry

Smile Gillards

Don't know how far you've got on this now but have you thought of South Wales as a place to look? Lots of people migrated there from North Devon in the 19th century for the copper and coal industries. My own people crossed the Bristol Channel in the 1840s. One of them was a Jane Kingdon nee Gillard (age 31 in the 1841 census). I don't know where she was born (dead by 1851 and I have no marriage certificate for her and her husband Richard) but it might have been north Devon as the Kingdons were basket makers from Barnstaple/Fremington.

chrisby23

Default Gillard/Kingdon.

Quote Originally Posted by ELParry View Post
    Don't know how far you've got on this now but have you thought of South Wales as a place to look? Lots of people migrated there from North Devon in the 19th century for the copper and coal industries. My own people crossed the Bristol Channel in the 1840s. One of them was a Jane Kingdon nee Gillard (age 31 in the 1841 census). I don't know where she was born (dead by 1851 and I have no marriage certificate for her and her husband Richard) but it might have been north Devon as the Kingdons were basket makers from Barnstaple/Fremington.
    These are my ancestors too. Their daughter Betsy Kingdon is my 3x great grandmother. I see this is an old post. Have you made any progress with their records. I would love to hear what you have

ELParry

Hello cousin Chribsy23 in Australia! I am very pleased to hear from you. I have not done any genealogy for ages and ages so have made no progress on the Gillards unfortunately. It is something I have been meaning to pick up for ages. If I do in 2014, and if I find anything, I will let you know. Devon genealogy is rather complicated. I am stuck on all my lines there. Regards Emma

chrisby23

Hi Cousin Emma, Thank you for your prompt reply. I should have said that Betsy is my 2x gt grandmother not 3x. It would be fantastic if you managed to make any progress. I have recently had some contact with a lovely gent in the Caribbean who has done extensive Kingdon research. Unfortunately his wife's connection is a different Richard Kingdon and Jane Bond. Lots of trees on ancestry.com show her as our ancestor but this is incorrect . Jane Gillard is definitely our ancestor. Have you tried to get a copy of their death certificates yet? I have gleaned a date of 18 Aug 1849 for Janes' death in Swansea. How are you descended from the Kingdon/Gillard family?
    Hope to hear from you again soon
    Cousin Chris

ELParry

Default Jane Gillard

Hello. Sorry for the delay in responding . Won't bore you with the details at to the reasons!
    Jane Gillard died of chronic gastritis on the 18th Aug 1849 in King Street Swansea. She was 40. Richard, her husband (who could not write and has put an "x") was present at the death. Richard was a basket maker at the time. I have this couple living in New Street in Swansea in 1841. Richard, aged 30 was a basket maker, Jane aged 31, William 8, M A (Mary Ann - who I am descended from) aged 7, R aged 5, Betsy aged 4, Susannah aged 1 and John aged 5 weeks. All are showing as not having been born in the county bar Susannah and John. Ref for this is HO 107/1426/6/21.
    I think that Mary Ann (my great great grandmother) was born in Fremington (near Barnstaple) in around 1834. She died in Swansea in Jan 1920. In August 1855, she married John Kingdon who was a basket maker. He died in Swansea in 1909 . I believe he was also born in Fremington circa 1830. The couple married in Swansea in August 1855. One of their children, James Kingdon (b. Mar 1860 Swansea d. Aug 1920 Knighton) was my great grandfather.
    The Kingdons are my paternal Grandmother's side. Unfortunately, no-one did much talking about the past. However, it was once said to me by someone in the family that Mary Ann and John were first cousins and the fact that they had married has caused absolute outrage in the family.
    I too have looked many a time a Jane Bond and from memory, I have also considered the surname Holland as possibly being connected. I have Susannah's birth certificate (b. 18th Feb 1840 in New Street) and that is how "Gillard" was confirmed as Jane's maiden name. Do you think that your former Prime Minister might be a relation!?
    Although I have not done any genealogy for about 4 years, I remember becoming totally lost in the Kingdons. All seem to have been called John, James, Mary Ann or William. Also, key people for me hardly appear to have been home on census night. All very frustrating and especially that it was a common surname in North Devon and that IGI parish coverage is patchy. I have quite a lot of stuff, but think that I cannot see the wood for the trees sometimes. About 8 years ago I visited Barnstaple Record Office and looked at apprenticeship records for basket makers. There were a few Richards, but no-one that tied in exactly. I know sometimes you have to go on a 'balance of probabilities' but you also have to be careful about making too many assumptions as you could end up researching the wrong line. Emma