Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    researchersuz

A big thank you to Christina and Gayle, for looking for my Ancestor William Williams, i give up, i have no idea who he is, where he came from...all the stories from his Family have led me to a Dead End....i have 4 other Ancestors who are exactly the same, i guess i wasn't meant to find out Who The Hell I Am.....i guess i just have to accept i am a special unique person who doesn't fit into the family mould, Thanks once again....Suzanne

researchersuz

Hi...i just wanted to ask your opinion about something, if you don't mind....is it possible that William Williams is not even his real name, he perhaps gave himself a new identity when he came to Australia....none of the family stories that his relatives have told me can be verified, i find that a little strange. I have an Irish ancestor who i am having the same trouble with......it seems very much to me that both these men were running away from someone or something....I have called my Family History "A NAME BUT NO HERITAGE".

gasser

Quote Originally Posted by researchersuz View Post
    Hi...i just wanted to ask your opinion about something, if you don't mind....is it possible that William Williams is not even his real name, he perhaps gave himself a new identity when he came to Australia....none of the family stories that his relatives have told me can be verified, i find that a little strange. I have an Irish ancestor who i am having the same trouble with......it seems very much to me that both these men were running away from someone or something....I have called my Family History "A NAME BUT NO HERITAGE".
    Yes...it is possible......... I don't know what Christina thinks but I have to say, my gut feeling tells me he's for real. I'm going to have to go through these posts again in order to find quotes to back up my gut feelings, so I will be back again tomorrow at some point.
    Chin up!
    Gail

Hi

Like Gail I think his name is most probably correct but other details can be distorted (for whatever reason). I am working on exactly the same situation for a friend and we even have the parents' names on the Australian marriage certificate -but so far no connections to be made. Bah!

Also,like Gail, I am going to have to re-acquaint myself with William's details-again.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

gasser

Have been looking through the posts again on this topic and have found just one small discrepancy …..
    Post 1
    Born:12 February, 1838 Ipswich, Suffolk, England Parents: Edward Williams and Jane Bett

Post 16
    ‘marriage of william williams and mary ann glover
    date: 23 october 1874
    place: kyeamba creek near wagga wagga nsw australia
    bridegroom: william williams
    born: england

and later in post 26

ALSO on death certificate it says, williams was aged 37 years on his wedding day....born: Ipswich, Suffolk, England....Time in Australian Colonies: about 14 years in Victoria and 68 years in NSW....Parents: unknown,…..’

Now that tells me the d.o.b given ie. 12th February 1838 is incorrect… otherwise he would have been aged 36 at time of his wedding in October 1874. If he was aged 37 at his marriage he would have been born sometime during 1837.
    Civil registration did not happen until late 1837 and there are no William Williams born in the latter half of 1837 in Suffolk. 12th February may be his correct birthdate but the year is wrong ….[work it out].

Have to disappear now unfortunately, but thought I had best point this out … ….needs another course of looking at thoroughly, so I’ll be back.

researchersuz

Hi Christina....hope you are keeping well.....i accidentally came across a record of WILLIAM WILLIAMS, british army deserter 1854 in New Zealand with a Regiment No. 2960 in the 65th Regiment.....age of deserter 16 years....enlistment date 1852 in canterbury, kent, england and it said he was also born in the same place he enlisted. But i can't find any record of this person coming to Melbourne Victoria Australia in 1854. Attestation date: 13 February 1852. Date of Desertion: 3 June 1854 Wellington, New Zealand. Of course this could be a completely different person. There is no real record of a WILLIAM WILLIAMS in australia until 1874 when he married Mary Ann Glover. Book: The Deserter by Rae Sexton.

researchersuz

Thanks for your reply.......there are so many wrong things about William......my gut tells me that he changed his name and you willl probably never be able to find who he really is.........what a sad mystery if he did change his name because we have family out there and we don't even know their names.......Suzanne

Hello again

I am going to have to reacquaint myself with this thread. I have an idea a deserter was mentioned at the beginning? but of course that could be another thread entirely or something I am working on for a friend!

I'll take a look tomorrow when I am fresh.

Christina
    William Burroughs

Hello
    sorry to take so long to get back to you and at the end of the day I am no further ahead with William. I did see the references to the William in post #23 and #36 who should be kept in mind, not because of family stories but just because he is there and needs to be accounted for. Similarly whether he hid Ned Kelly or not (and I can imagine there will be quite a few family stories about Ned) you do know the years he spent in both Vic and NSW.
    It may pay to be a little more flexible with the birth year, see gasser's post #35 and I still can't see why there would be parent's names on a parish marriage record but not on the NSW gov record. Honestly at the moment I can't find anyway further back with this.

Christina
    William Burroughs

researchersuz

Quote Originally Posted by gasser View Post
    Further to my last post....there is a birth registered mar qtr at Kensington for William Williams [Kensington was part of Middlesex 1837-
    1889] WW 's birthdate is stated as 12th February 1838 so his birth would need to have been registered by 26th March (looked at 1838 calendar]
    1841 census W.W. aged 3 - born in county(Middlesex), 1851 census W.W. aged 13 born Pancras (part of Middlesex as was Kensington).............again thinking out loud with possibles !!! Feel free to tell me to be quiet if you want
    will check in later
    Gail
    Hi Gail...sorry i haven't been in touch but i have been soooooo busy. This could be him because his family believe he was born on 12 February 1838. I will look at these records again. if this turns out to be right, i will burst through the screen and give you a big HUG...LOL.....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast