Wilkes_ml

Default Brown of Downham Norfolk

Looking back through some of my research, I decided to take another look at my Brown Family

in 1851 Charlotte GLOVER nee Brown (aged 60 born Emneth, Norfolk) is at Downham Market with her daughter Sophia (aged 26 born Wimbotsham) and Sophia's illegitimate daughters M.A (Sophia Mary Ann) aged 4 and E. (Elizabeth) aged 1 both born Downham, Norfolk.

Also living in the household is 51 year old "visitor" James HURST supposedly born Emneth, Norfolk.

Ref: HO107; Piece: 1830; Folio: 328; Page: 5

Charlotte dies February 1861, just before the 1861 census takes place.

Now what is interesting is that Sophia Brown marries a John HURST March Quarter 1852 ( I haven't ordered the certificate yet as she is not a direct ancestor but freereg states that James is John's father, no brides father named which isn't surprising as she was illegitimate)

I also have the family in 1841 Ref: HO107 piece 754 folio 12 page 17

Charlotte Glover (aged 40), Mary Glover (should be Brown, aged 20), Sophia Glover (should be Brown aged 18) and John Glover aged 16.

N.B Charlotte married William Gover in 1834 at Stow Bardolph

I suspect Sophia died March Quarter 1858 Downham Reg district (I'll get the certificate to check) and this would explain the fact I can't find her with John in 1861.

However, I think it unlikely he would have taken on her two illegitimate daughters.

So, I am hoping someone may be decended from one of these two girls (both christened at Downham Market) and notice this at some point in the future.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Michelle,

I think that you will find the marriage is on Familysearch. https://
    familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-12699-22208-55?cc=1416598&wc=MMVP-36Z:n1427719724

Burial of a James Hurst, aged 59, in 1859. (entry number 971) https://
    familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-266-12646-8175-96?cc=1416598&wc=MMVP-3FS:1573858352

Burials for 1858 start at image 63, but I can't see Sophia listed.
    I think it might be Downham where there was quite a big cemetery, and some of my Empsons (or related-by-marriage name) were buried there. Haven't got my notes to hand so have no idea of dates for my family, but IIRC I found the info on a film either at The LDS London FHC (currently based at Kew) or the Society of Genealogists.

( Not doing very well this week on giving 'help' Getting confused with my James and Johns. )

Pam

Wilkes_ml

Thanks Pam, I suspect John & Sophia may have moved to a neighbouring village and therefore Sophia maybe buried in another churchyard/cemetary but still within the Downham Registration District. I leep forgetting about the Norfolk records on Family search, so will have a good look through later.