minster775

Default Finding Record if you dont know Regiment

I have my father's service number (I think !!) but dont know which RAF regiment he was in, how do I find out? please

I assume that you are talking about WW2? Or more recently?
    Anyway, apart from special case of the RAF Regiment, the RAF doesn't have the regimental structure of the army. There are trades (eg Signals), Squadrons, etc, and people can move between Units depending on the need.

Do you know what his trade was within the RAF?

The MoD hasn't released records after WW1 yet, but people or their next of kin can apply for a copy, and this would be the simplest way to get all of your questions answered.

BTW Welcome to Brit Gen! I see that this was your first post.

minster775

Many thanks for prompt and helpful response. No, I am afraid I dont know his squadron; his trade was stores, and I believed he signed up before WW2 and continued, apart from a short break, until 1959. I guess you are right and it would have to be information request to the MoD via the Declaration of Next of Kin. I do know more or less every place he served on his many travels !!

Kind regards and thanks for the welcome.

I must admit that I thought that I knew most of the places my Father had worked until I asked for his records, then I found that while Mum and us kids might have been living on 1 base for a couple of years, Dad had actually been working several others in the area... I'm afraid that Stores people could have been sent to any of the bases, not even necessarily flying stations (eg we lived on signals bases, no planes to be seen other than the Gate Guardians).
    You'll need a copy of his death cert - they refused to accept a copy of Dad's published obit as proof of death which I'd sent to save the bother of ordering a death cert.....

minster775

Thanks very much - I will do it (I have been promising myself to do it for years now) especially as I travel throughout European countries regularly on business, it would be good to be able to make the connections. I also re-visited Sri Lanka and found all the places I remembered exactly as I left them !!
    I will let you know how I get on.
    Kind regards