Thread: Burma

Poppysadream

Default Burma

Can anyone one help ? Both my father and father in law served in Burma during 2nd WW, both came from Glasgow, both died before I met my husband, I would love to know if they knew each other or were in the same regiment. Unfortunately I have no other information on either of them, I have tried putting my fathers name Michael Sweeney and my father in laws name Arthur Hadnum in the search box but no results came up, how do I find out more about them.

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

hi WW2 service records are not online,,,so unless they won a VC,,,Or were a famous officer,,,it is unlikely you will find a reference to them anywhere online.
    You could apply for your fathers service records from the MOD.

Widows, widowers and legal next of kin (if both the ex-Service person and their spouse are deceased) who are enquiring about the Service details of their deceased spouse/relative will be asked to provide proof of death and confirmation that they are next of kin. All others enquirers must be able to provide a letter of consent from either the person the record belongs to or, if that person is deceased, from their next of kin.

To access a record, the Service Records Offices require the following information, or as much as possible: Service number, rank, full name, date of birth and period served (dates from and to). For queries to the Army, it is necessary to state the regiment or corps in addition to the above information.

All enquiries regarding Service records must be made in writing only. Veterans and widows can obtain service records without charge. For other enquiries a fee maybe charged.

Army Records
    For those who served from 1922 to the present

Army Personnel Centre
    Historic Disclosures, Mailpoint 555, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX
    Tel: 0845 600 9663 Email: [email protected]