Ex-Chalky

Default HMS Kent - Battle of the Falkland Islands

HMS Kent was a ship that took part in the strategically vital battle of the Falkland Islands on 8th December 1914. A battle that resulted in a German fleet being destroyed.

Some of her crew were killed in the battle and they are commemorated on a magnificent memorial in Canterbury Cathedral.

The centenary of that battle is this year and I can now confirm that it will be marked by a service of commemoration in Canterbury Cathedral, on Monday 8th December 2014.

I am already in contact with a few families who are descendants of men on the ship that day, and am now trying to trace as many more as possible - most especially those related to a man killed on HMS Kent that day. It is our wish to invite them to be with us in the cathedral for the service.

Might I ask readers to pass on this news and I would ask that families contact me on here with an e-mail address so that I can ensure that they are invited.

There is another thread on the memorial and the ship on this forum that readers might like to read.

Thank you!

Ex-Chalky

For the information of all.......

I have set up a Yahoo Groups page which will be used to try to get families of crewmen in touch with each other, and also to disseminate information about the centenary service at Canterbury Cathedral in December.

It can be found at: https://uk.groups.ya...ations/messages

If anyone would care to message me with an e-mail address I'll send you an invite. You will then get automatic e-mail updates. This page will operate till the end of the year.