Default Thomas Colin Chapmam RE

My father Thomas Colin Chapman was a member of the Royal Engineers, his service book says his army number was 1912502, enlisted 08.01.40 in Reading, (Brock Barracks?) and attained the rank of Sargent. His pay book says his regiment was '679 - followed by what looks like A or Q) Coy (Company?) RE He survived WW2, living into his 90s.

I also have Army form X 202/B his certificate of transfer to the Army reserve, rubber stamped 5013828 with the stamp of the E.E Record office 22.02.1946 Brighton. This was to take effect from the 20th of June, 1946. I have tried entering the information I have on this site, but without any success finding his records. Could this be because the RE members were assigned to other regiments, or switched between them as and when needed? Can anyone help me?

I gather, that his platoon got out at Dunkirk, due to commandeering a train behind enemy lines i (In Holland I think) and then got across the Channel in a small steam boat, and was nearly attacked by a U-Boat.
    Last edited by Footloose1949; 19-02-2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Clarification

A fountain of knowledge

It's simply because the full records sets are only held by the MoD as there is a rule that limits their release for quite a few years after service.

There's some good guidance here on how to apply for these:
    https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-pers...ervice-records

I'm somewhat baffled why someone who left the army no later than 1947, and died about 4 years ago, would still have their held by the MOD!