Starting to feel at home

Default Royal Flying Corps

I have a family photo of my grandfather wearing uniform which shows a badge on his shoulder, Royal Flying Corps. From the age of the children I have guessed it was taken 1918. I can't find a Medal Card for him giving me some information as to his war record. I do realise many other records were destroyed in WW2. His name was Alfred Hulme Parkinson born 1871 so he would have been in his 40s. Are Royal Flying Corps records kept separtately from Army records?. Could anyone point me in the right direction to find something about my grandfather's war record please.

postiebear

Hi Chrissie

a very good question, as you know the Royal Flying corp was an army unit, however on the 1st april 1918 all members of the RFC and the RNAS (royal naval air service) transferred into the newly formed RAF (royal air force).

All these records are still held by the RAF and have not been released into the public domaine.

If you google RAF records SAR you can apply to receive your ancesters record. it will cost approx £30 and will contain both his army and RAF service.

Hope this helps

Regards

James

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

If he was an officer in the RAF then his record may be here - https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/r...ficers-ww1.htm
    If not then apply as above - https://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...e_records.html

regards

Robert

SueNSW

Find my Past has the muster roll for the "new" RAF as at 1st April 1918 - there are 6 entries for "A Parkinson" but unfortunately none for "A.H."

Starting to feel at home

Thanks to all who replied. No my grandfather wasn't an officer and didn't remain in the RAF after 1918. I think I will start by asking for a quote from the National Archives and see if it's cheaper than £30 from the RAF, but again thanks for all your help. Chris.