Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eburridge1

Default How do I research Irish ancestors?

How can I trace my irish relatives prior to 1852?
    I have hit a brick wall with them.
    Please any help would be great.
    Ethel

Name well known on Brit-Gen
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

Reputation beyond repute

How can I trace my irish relatives prior to 1852?
    Commission a researcher, I should think.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Post what you know about them, including denomination, approx dates of birth and location in Ireland that they came from, and I’ll see if I can make any suggestions. In general however research in Ireland pre 1850 can often be very difficult.
    ELWYN

eburridge1

hi elwwyn, mary keane was born 1832 possibly in co.cork, she married john keane a journeyman blacksmith date not known, they had a daughter elizabeth (my great grandmother) who was born 1852 in ireland they came to england sometime before 1872 where my grandfather john thomas was born. there are 2 possible marriages for john keane in co.cork with mary parker 24/7/1845 and mary ann leary 8/11/1845 holy trinity cork and cove by coyne. i sent an email last sept. to holy trinity but have had no reply. this is all the irish information i have recieved from ancestry.com.au. i will be very grateful for anything you can find out. thank you

Knowledgeable and helpful

I assume they were RC. Disappointing that you haven’t had a reply from the churches but that’s not too unusual. They do get a lot of genealogical requests. Don’t expect too much info if you do get a reply. An RC marriage record from that period normally just contains the couples names and their 2 witnesses. Nothing else. No parents names, no addresses etc. So if you don’t have the bride’s maiden name from Australian sources, it’s going to be very difficult.

Be aware that about only half the RC records for Co Cork are on-line (on rootsireland and at least 1 other site). None of Co Kerry’s records are on line either. So there could easily be several other possible marriages out there.
    ELWYN

CanadianCousin

Quote Originally Posted by Elwyn Soutter View Post
    Be aware that about only half the RC records for Co Cork are on-line (on rootsireland and at least 1 other site). None of Co Kerry’s records are on line either. So there could easily be several other possible marriages out there.
    Irish Genealogy (the free website operated by the Irish Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht) does have records for both Cork and Kerry online (with the exception of Cork City), although in many cases these are transcripts only (apparently there are digital images of registers for some parishes). According to the Church Records section of the site:

Under the first phase of the project, church records for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Kerry were made available as were a subset of the Church of Ireland parishes in Kerry. The Roman Catholic Diocese of Kerry includes parishes in western and north-western areas of County Cork. The church records for a subset of the Roman Catholic and Church of Ireland parishes in Dublin City were also available as were a small number of Presbyterian records relating to a congregation in Lucan.

Under the second phase, the remaining Church of Ireland records of Dublin City, County Kerry and County Carlow have been added. Also a subset of the Roman Catholic parishes in the Diocese of Cork & Ross were also added. In addition to these records, digital images of the originals of these church records are also available to view on this website.

Under the third phase, the remaining Roman Catholic records of Dublin City and County Cork (Cork and Ross except most of Cork City) have been added. In addition to these records, digital images of the originals of these church records are also available to view on this website.
    Hope this helps -

Tim

eburridge1

hi tim thanks for your post re my irish relatives marriage, i am not quite sure what it all means but i will plug along anyway. i know it is very difficult to get information after the fire. i thought maybe the occupation journeyman blacksmith might help maybe a register of some kind. thanks for trying to help.ethel

eburridge1

hi elwyn thank you for post, i will try the rootsireland and see what i can up with, thank you for your help ethel

p42baker@icloud

Hello, You might want to get their death record in England, which might contain the names of their parents. Also, the death record of your grandfather might give you a clue as well. Also, sometimes obituaries can be helpful. Good luck. Peggy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast