Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    pollywaffle

Hi there,
    I am tracing Philip Moss Levy (Yehudah Eliezer LEVI) who was a shoemaker and trader in london Ratcliffe Highway around 1829. I only ask because of the Henry you have, Philip also has Moss (maybe Moses) and Henry in his and his grasndson's names, also Lewis and Lyons come in to the name patterns in the family for a couple of generations. I don't know maybe?

Default Levy/hart/moses/jacobs Links

Hi Polly,
    I have received recent new data on my family lines which includes:
    The marriage of Lewis Hart= Julia Levy ( Lewis Hart was a tailor in 7 Hollywell St Strand- father Benjamin Hart slop seller and clothier my gggg grandfather also of 3 and 7 Hollywell St from 1807). Lewis's brother John Hart =Elizabeth Jacobs my ggg grandparents- Elizabeth's sister Amelia married Daniel Levy son of Judah Levy). From Amelia and Daniel's ketubah 1824 Amelia's Hebrew name is Minka bat Zvi nicknamed Hirtz. The Benjamin Hart children /John/Lewis/Rosa/Michael/Morris were all tailors/clothiers.

On my other Hart lines I have Henry Hart boot manufacturer 90 Leman St from 1808. He married Phoebe Myers ( daughter of Jacob Myers and Eve/Eva ? my ggggg grandparents) Their son Aaron Hart = Anne Rebecca Crawcour. Aaron was also a boot and shoe manufacturer in partnership with his brother John trading from Leman Street and later 156 Houndsditch- their siblings include Moss/Napthali/Leah/Julia amongst others.

I have a lot more data on the families should you wish to know more.
    My lines have American and Australian links.
    Regards
    Phillip

Default Moses/levy/hart/jacobs- Sun Fire And Other Records

Polly and others,
    In searching for my Moses/Levy/Hart/Jacobs families I have used a wide range of sources which others may not be aware of.
    There are several excellent sources of information on locating Anglo Jewish families including the UK National Archives- English Strand. If you type in the family name or an address you can see significant numbers of records including the Sun Fire Policy records which include dates/address/name and trade. There is also the Wills pre 1858 plus other sections.
    You can then cross reference this data with the JewishGen British data base for names particularly London traders.
    Some of the synagogue records for London have been donated by Angela Shire and appear on the Sherry Landa British Jewry site- these can be down loaded. There are the excellent two directories written by Doreen Berger ' The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861-70 and 1871-80'. These contain hundreds of names/addresses of Anglo Jewish families plus cross referenced to relatives names. She is working on her 3rd volume for 1891-1900. Then there are the Susser archives again available on line for identifying Anglo Jewish names.
    See also the University of Leceister Historical Directories site which has various collections of trade directories including London and some provincial areas- these list traders/addresses.
    The Jewish Chronicle has made its collection of archives from the late 1700s to the present available on line but there are charges. type in address
    More and more of this information is being made available on line- some at a cost others free.
    Phillip

pollywaffle

Default JACOBS, Moss and Henry, Alfred and Martha

June We indeed have a connection then...my Sarah LEVY married Henry moss Jacobs at the Emily Street Synagogue in 1863. Jacobs died in 1887 Sarah remarried George Symmonds Budge.

i am related via Sarah's brother Lewis lyons Levy who then married Jane Goodisson in Wanganui and had another Lewis, Philip, Leah and Rachel.

I would absolutely love to hear from you!
    Last edited by pollywaffle; 13-06-2006 at 3:46 AM. Reason: Added info

pollywaffle

Sth Cross Friday 3 July 1863
    MARRIAGES;
    On the 1st Instant at the Synagogue, Emily Place, Auckland, by Mr Henry ISAACS hon. officiating Minister, Henry, second son of Moss JACOBS of London to Sarah, only daughter of Philip LEVY of this city. Home Papers please copy.

JACOBS 1-Aug-1862 D On 30th July at 41 Leman St., Martha, wife of Moss Jacobs, aged 57
    London Jewish Chronicle Index to 1869

And from the NZ Archives his probate

JACOBS Henry Moss 1887 - 1887

agency series accession box / item record part alternative no.
    BBAE 1569 Box5 111

Default HENRY JACOBS and JACOBS MARRIAGES

Following contact with several other researchers investigating the Henry Jacobs b 1772 Aldgate lines the following information has been found. The Gt Synagogue Marriage Records show:
    March 29, 1826
    Lawrence Levy
    Eliezer Lazie ben Yehuda Leib
    father Yehuda Leib ( priviliged member)
    Rebecca Jacobs
    Breina bat Zvi Hirsch
    father Zvi Hirsch

July 31,1815
    Moses Jacobs
    Moshe ben Zvi Hirsch
    father
    Zvi Hirsch ( priviliged member)
    Sarah Levy
    Sara bat Simha Segal
    father Simha Segal

NB This is the marriage of Moses Jacobs to Sarah Levy who are the relatives of June ( see earlier messages on this thread)

15th Dec 1824
    Lewis Jacobs
    Eliezer Lazer ben Zvi Hirsch
    father Zvi Hirsch ( privileged member)
    Rawner Simmonds
    Rona bat Binyamin
    father Binyamin ( priviliged member)

Nb Rawner is Dinah Rauner Simmonds- father Woolfe and mother Eve

Lewis and Moses Jacobs are brothers- Lewis Henry Jacobs is a dealer in china - Tyssen Place and Moses is also a china dealer 101 Berwick St in 1844. In the case of Moses Jacobs b 1794 he later becomes in 1851 a Law General Agent but Sarah is a china shop keeper and their 27 year old daughter an assistant and their 16 year old son an errand boy.

23 March 1823

Abraham Jacob Cantor
    Avraham ben ( the learned) Aharon Yaakov
    Pheby Jacobs
    Fradchi bat Zvi Hirsch
    father Zvi Hirsch

Nb Phoebe dies in 1881 age 80 and was born in Aldgate. The first name Rosetta ? has been given as the mother of Phoebe by some researchers but this requires confirmation.
    I have further data on the Abraham/Phoebe lines.

All the above marriages have a Henry Jacobs as the father of the bride or groom but the key question is are all the Jacobs siblings and children of the same Henry Jacobs and is he also the Henry Jacobs b 1772 Aldgate and father to Elizabeth m John Hart and Amelia m Daniel Levy.

I hope the above information helps other researchers looking at the various Jacobs connections.
    Phillip

Default Moses Jacobs And Sarah Levy Lines

The following data is linked to the line of Moses Jacobs and his marriage to Sarah Levy and the ongoing attempt to identify the various relationships which may or may not exist between the Henry Jacobs b 1772 Aldgate and the other Jacobs lines identified previously in this thread.

The marriage of Moses Jacobs to Sarah Levy ( GSM 164/39) August ?1815
    Moses Jacobs Descended from a priviliged member Moshe s of Tebi Hirsh
    Sarah Levy
    Sarah d of Simcha SGL

This line includes their children:
    Samuel Jacobs b 1817 d 8th April 1885 Coleridge St Christchurch NZ
    He married Fanny Gomm b 1830 d 1869; Emma Bristow b 1851 d 1907

David Jacobs b 1820- he married Matilda Jacobs b c 1822 - married 1848

The other children of Moses and Sarah were Ann and Lawrence

In private messages between myself, Carol and June we have collated a range of data on the various Jacobs lines including family trees and census records from 1841. This has enabled us to discount or confirm various family relationships.

We know that Henry Jacobs was a priviliged member of the Gt Synagogue and this may supply a tentative clue as to the various relationships between the Jacobs lines.

The Moss Jacobs marriage to Martha is recorded in Doreen Berger's The Jewish Victorian. Genealogical information from the Jewish Newspapers 1861- 70 and shows:
    The death of Martha Jacobs at 41 Leman St 30th July 1862 age 57
    There are links in the records to Mrs Barnard Isaacs and Mrs Alfred Jacobs but the relationships are not identified.

We have also identified a range of other Jacobs lines all glass dealers/traders/manufacturers in London which have enabled us to link or discount the various families.

I am happy to share all this data with possible relatives.
    Phillip

Knowledgeable and helpful

phillip do you by any chance have any reference to a Isaac Jacobs who married a Louisa Wakeman around 1867 they had 2 children David c 1867 and Mark c1870 on the 1871 Louisa is down as a widow although by 1881 she had another son Samuel who I believe was the son of Joseph Raphael...........they had serveral other children but didnt marry until 1904!! by which time they had converted away from being jewish.

sandie

Default Isaac Jacobs Line

Sandie,
    I have looked on Free BMD for Isaac Jacobs death plus the birth of David and Mark Jacobs. This is the data:
    Death Isaac Abraham Jacobs Hackney Dec 1871 age 61 1b 365
    Births:
    David Jacobs March 1866 Holborn 1b 591
    David Jacobs June 1867 Whitechapel 1c 376
    Mark Jacobs March 1870 Whitechapel 1c 370
    Mark Jacobs June 1870 Whitechapel 1c 346

You will need to do searches on the GRO records to see if any of the above are your line. I also looked in Berger 1861-70 for references to Isaac Jacobs but noted no one who reflected the data you have. The same applies to the Raphael enquiry.
    You might want to look on JewishGen and the Jeffrey Maynard Anglo Jewish Miscellanies sites.
    Phillip

Knowledgeable and helpful

thanks Phillip
    sorry I thought you had some differant data to the GRO refs as I have exhausted them and had no luck with the others but thank you for looking......

sandie

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast