Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lisagrace

Default mclaughlin where do I start

starting on a scottish link i have no idea where to start i have ancestry but doesnt seem to show alot of scottish stuff or am I not looking properly. Not sure where to look other than that. Help>>>>>

Looking for anything about a

hugh mclaughlin

probably born somewhere around 1890-1920ish he was married and had children with his first wife (her name unknown), 4 children where last seen as adults in the 70's and i do not know what happened to them. They areThe address was 9 neverland rd aryshire. Or similar
    he was told his wife had died in the war by telegram, so he came to london and married again to an ellen bearder in west ham.
    But the wife hadnt died, he went back to scotland and the marriage was annulled .
    There was a child with ellen he was called michael jMclaughlin born 1944 surrey who has now passed away

His first children used the surname Dugeon but we do not know why. Possibly a double barrel.
    have know idea where to start. Where are the scotish bmd's, or census

thankyou
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    lisa g
    Last edited by lisagrace; 02-02-2014 at 10:52 PM. Reason: removed childrens names in case they are still living

jac65

Hi

Scotlandspeople (a Scottish Government pay site) is the site for Scottish research. You can download images of the historical BMD registers for far less than purchasing English certificates.

Andy

Hugh married Ellen Bearder in the Dec 1/4 of 1943. On FreeBMD

This certificate would give his father's name and occupation and Hugh's age, occupation and whether divorced, widowed or single.

Unfortunately you have to order the certificate from the GRO, not available on line unlike the Scottish ones.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There is a collection of stickies at the top of the General Scottish Family History Forum that explain what is available and where. Start with the ones on Statutory Records and Scotlands People. You do have to pay a little for scottish records, but there is the advantage that they're on line, and usually very informative!

Do you know where in Scotland his first family were?
    I see that you know the names of his children. If you can find a birth cert for one of them, it'll give the name of wife 1 and the date & place of their marriage. All will then become much simpler.
    Do you know when he died?

Do remember, everyone, that info about potentially living people should be shared via the pm system!

{later} I've had a look for Dugeons on SP. Over their entire collection of BMDs (1855-2012), I have found 2 - a marriage in Kelso in 1991 and a death in Prestonpans in 1981 (Mary). They obviously weren't using the name officially.

lisagrace

Thanks lesley, i'm trying to be careful of those that are living, i know all those that i have mentioned are deceased.
    ive ordered the marriage of hugh in westham and the birth of micheal also, this will give me a good start. The only address we had was the one mentioned. i really want to start with hugh and go backwards historically. Im so used to having ancestry and being able to look all day just paying one off monthly for english census and church records i was hoping that scotlands records would have a similar site,
    lisa g.x

But the address you gave doesn't have a town or village, just the street and county. Even in darkest England, that wouldn't help!

Ancestry has the scottish census from 1901 back, but it's not a rare name. We need wife 1's name - we might get it from the census if we knew where to look!

lisagrace

thankyou lesley, but thats all i have, ive ordered the marriage of the second wife that will give me hugh's father, i will only find out the 1st wifes name if i bring in the 1st set of children to the equation i have there names and who they married but i cannot discuss on here unless its a pm because they are living.

lisa g

Since you know their forenames and (hopefully) ages, the best thing would be to go to Scotlands People and get one of their birth certificates. It'll give the mother's name. and should give the wedding date and place. You will have to pay for the download, but it WILL break the log jam!

Famous for offering help & advice

A few thoughts in no particular order.

You may want to consider the spelling Dudgeon as there are a few of those around in Ayrshire.

If you think that Hugh may have married in Ayrshire then there is a possibility on SP in 1926 in Irvine (can be downloaded) It may not be your Hugh tho - there are at least three of possible age in Ayrshire in 1901.

If you think he may have died in Ayrshire then there is a possibility in 1969 in Kilwinning.(cannot be downloaded as too recent - you have to send off for an extract which is more expensive).

Similarly the children's birth certs if after 1913 cannot be downloaded directly - again you have to send off for an extract.

Neverland Rd - could it be Netherland Rd? There is one such in Stewarton near Kilmarnock.

When you have Hugh's father's name from his marriage cert let us know - someone may find him in a census.

lisagrace

thankyou
    i have asked about the address and yes it is netherland rd kilmarnock.
    there seems to be alot to learn about the scottish records, its interesting in its self.
    until i get the 2nd marriage cert it seems i could have lots of possibilities. I need a father for hugh. then i can check it against the one in irvine, you mentioned.
    a waiting game now.x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast