valerieb1959

Default Missing Dartnall

I have been looking for Charles Dartnall born in Nelson NZ 1842. Parents William Dartnall and Lucy Richardson who emigrated from London to Nelson in 1839.

Elder Brother of William Witney Dartnall born New Zealand Died Western Australia. Where did Charles Go? Looked everywhere last record of him is in New Zealand 1870.

Any Suggestions looked in US Australia and England.

Valerie

Welcome to Brit Gen, Valerie.

FreeBMD shows a death for a Charles Dartnall in Dartford in 1904, when he was 62. That comes out as a birth about 1842, which seems hopeful, at least. You'll need to check the certificate, though.

I can't find a CD born 1842+/-2years in any census, which either means that his name's been mis-transcribed (I checked ...nall and ...nell), or he wasn't there.

I also can't find a birth for CD 1840-1844 on FreeBMD.

BTW It looks as though William and Lucy married in Northampton in 1839 - it must have been right before they left.
    Do you know his occupation? Could he have been a seaman?

valerieb1959

I found that record but i also found other records pertaining to this person and i am sure this is not him. The family emigrated 1939 and he would have been second born in the family. His elder sister mary ended up in New South Wales and i found a notice for her dau marriage in China. They were traders and the sister's husband returned to England for a while with her husband who was in international trade. I get the impression he might have gone to sea or maybe china or india. They have family connections in US or Canada but i have not found the link.
    I have also been looking for his father's two brothers, Samuel and Alfred. They were baptised non conformist in london about 1804 and 1808. The family are definitely non conformist and i have found 4 out of six brothers. Their parents were Ann Summers and William Dartnall who both died young and left the 6 boys to be raised by her brothers, one being the Rev Samuel Summers. The boys were raised in Gloucestershire at the Summer's ancestral home.

Been looking for these people for ages. Any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone know much about colonial records in China

southistle

Have you got the Northampton marriage certifcate?
    This is from the Northamptonshire 1837-1861 marriage index
    William DARTNELL of Cheltenham, Gloucs, bachelor, of full age, upholsterer, father William, stationer
    Lucy RICHARDSON otp, (Albion Place), spinster, age 17, father Thomas, gentleman
    1839 12-Jun Northampton St Giles

dartnall2000

Hi Valerie,

I have a bit on WWD and family and am in touch with a descendant. Love to share info. I am also a Dartnall but not yet related to this line.

Regards Linda nee Dartnall in Melbourne.

valerieb1959

Quote Originally Posted by dartnall2000 View Post
    Hi Valerie,

I have a bit on WWD and family and am in touch with a descendant. Love to share info. I am also a Dartnall but not yet related to this line.

Regards Linda nee Dartnall in Melbourne.
    My boyfriend is a Dartnall great grandson of WWD. I have traced this family from WA to NZ and then London. I am in touch with WWD's grandson David, son of Augustus. He is old but still living. Augustus had him late in life and an only child.

Where do you fit in with the Dartnalls

Valerie

I lost WWD's Brother Charles Harper born in NZ in 1842. He disappeared after 1870. I also cannot find WWD's Father's brothers there was William, Samuel, Alfred, Edmund or Edward, Henry can't remember the other one. William and Edmund went to NZ, Samuel and Alfred disappeared and the other two remained in England.
    Seems to me they must have emigrated somewhere and I know there are family connections in Canada but can't find them.
    Charles Harper must have been close to WWD. WWD named his first child Charles Harper which throws a spanner in the records. The child did not survive and the next child born was William Leonard. Charles seems to possibly have been a troubled soul. He was looking after his younger brother Henry Lloyd when he drowned at 3 years.
    Interesting family history. I have the record of the Dartnall's original emigration to NZ

dartnall2000

Hi Valerie,

email me on [email protected]
    Happy to share some of the info I have I have some wills which may help.
    Also if you are happy I will pass your email on to my friend who is WWD's direct descendant.

I relate to another Dartnall line but have done some work on this one for my friend.

Regards Linda

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by valerieb1959 View Post
    I have been looking for Charles Dartnall born in Nelson NZ 1842. Parents William Dartnall and Lucy Richardson who emigrated from London to Nelson in 1839...

Valerie
    New Zealand death index online - note surname spelling
    1863/2508 Dartnell Charles 20Y
    ChristineR