123Charles

Default No.9 Squadron RAF - August 1918

Has anyone got any information of the activities of No.9 Squadron RAF on August 11th 1918?

I am particularly interested in 2/Lt. Edgar Brandon an observer who was killed that day, hope you can assist.

9 Squadron was supporting the troops on the Western Front in 1918, mostly on bombing and spotting missions.

I'm having trouble finding anything much, apart from the fact that it turned into 209 Sqdn on 1 April 1918, and nothing for 11 Aug 1918, so I had a look at the CWGC cemetary where he's buried. It's made up of casualties moved there from temporary graveyards that were in use during the war, one of which was attached to a medical unit. There are no others who died in August 1918 from 9 Squadron in the cemetary, and also single representatives of 3 other squadrons who died then. Since one fairly generally finds complete crews together, I wonder whether he died of wounds after an earlier mission...

It's not certain that I'm right, but it might be worth investigating missions for 9 Squadron for all of August....

Reputation beyond repute

it turned into 209 Sqdn on 1 April 1918
    Bearing this in mind...

Have you tried AIR 1?

eg https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=C7158253

123Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    9 Squadron was supporting the troops on the Western Front in 1918, mostly on bombing and spotting missions.

I'm having trouble finding anything much, apart from the fact that it turned into 209 Sqdn on 1 April 1918, and nothing for 11 Aug 1918, so I had a look at the CWGC cemetary where he's buried. It's made up of casualties moved there from temporary graveyards that were in use during the war, one of which was attached to a medical unit. There are no others who died in August 1918 from 9 Squadron in the cemetary, and also single representatives of 3 other squadrons who died then. Since one fairly generally finds complete crews together, I wonder whether he died of wounds after an earlier mission...

It's not certain that I'm right, but it might be worth investigating missions for 9 Squadron for all of August....
    Thanks for this, sorry about the delay in my reply. Interesting that you state No.9 Sqdn. became 209 on April 1st., the formation date of the RAF, I will investigate this further. The information I have is that Edgar was K.I.A - 9 Sqdn., were equipped with the R.E.8, a known death trap. I think the squadron was based at Proyart on the Somme only a few miles from the cemetery, I need to do more work.

123Charles

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Bearing this in mind...

Have you tried AIR 1?

eg https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=C7158253
    Thanks for this Peter, but I think the squadron you are making reference to is the former No.9 Squadron RNAS, that became 209 RAF, No. 9 RFC retained the number when the RAF was formed on 1.4.18.

123Charles

Discovered that 209 Squadron was the old 9 RNAS squadron, 9 RFC retained the number to become 9 RAF.

Reputation beyond repute

Discovered that 209 Squadron was the old 9 RNAS squadron, 9 RFC retained the number to become 9 RAF.
    If you say so. Still it's easy enough to browse the catalogue to find what you do want.

Perhaps this one -

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...s?uri=C7158190

123Charles

Thanks Peter, I have requested the details from National Archives, they are currently being processed.