Benedict

Default Kathleen Rosina Huggins

My aunt won the BEM in 1947. She kept the nature of the honour and why she received it secret until she died. It is thought it was something to do with Biggin Hill Aerodome.

If any one can shed any lights on events at that time I would be very grateful

Allan F Sparrow

A google search called up one site with an image of an honours list. She was described as an acting corporal in the WAAF. I am pretty sure that I have heard her name mentioned in a TV programme on Biggin Hill, but it will take me a little time to find my recording, so someone else may come up with information before I get back to you!

This confirms it was Air Force related but doesn't shed any further light I'm afraid.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Benedict

Thanks. That is far as I got!! Any help greatly appreciated

Reputation beyond repute

The official announcement woud be in the London Gazette

https://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu...supplements/25

She got it for unspecified good deeds in connection with her duties in the Women's Auxiliary Air Force. Could just be long and faithful service (although probably not so long as it was wartime).

Benedict

Thanks but my Aunt was only 25 at the time but I get your point.

Allan F Sparrow

I found the programme I was thinking of and looked through it, only to find my memory had played me false! Your aunt was not mentioned. Three other WAAFs of Biggin Hill were given appropriate coverage for their bravery during the German attacks on 18th August 1940, and also on 30th and 31st August. I have several books about the Battle of Britain, but cannot find your aunt in any of the indices. Irritating!
    Last edited by Allan F Sparrow; 23-01-2014 at 6:21 PM. Reason: Correction

Benedict

Thanks for the effort!!
    As the honour was 1947 it may be it is not linked to World War 2

Allan F Sparrow

Most likely it was to do with WW2, as they were catching up with awards when the war was over. For example, my father was home from Italy by July 1945, but his "Mentioned in Despatches" for something during his time in Italy was awarded in May 1946.

Did you mean your aunt was 25 in 1947? She could still have been a WAAF in 1940.

Benedict

My Aunt was 25 years old. All mysterious as far as I am concerned as she never told her mum or dad or brother or sister. She was a lovely lady and died too young of cancer