armo85

Default Recruited in Ireland c1916 - which regiment?

My grandfather died in 1960 and was a particularly quiet man. We are trying to trace his military records and wondered if anyone on here could help. Here's what we think we know.

Name: John Crowe
    Born: County Tipperary, 1900 or 1901 (He may have lied about his age). He then lived in Limerick and always stated his place of birth as Limerick - but census records show this wasn't true.
    Joined army: 1916 as an alternative for going to prison after the troubles in Ireland.
    Location: He spent some time in Catterick and visited there before he died.
    He never spoke of active service. After demob he ended up working in coalmines in Notts/Derbys.

He had a brother Michael Crowe who was also in the army. He went to live in Kent after demob.

It's an unfortunate fact that it's harder to find information about WW1 survivors. I did have a look for a medal card, but there's 77 men called John Crowe, and no way to pick your guy out.
    I don't suppose that you have any other odd scraps of information? Medals, perhaps, or a photo of him in uniform?

Knowledgeable and helpful keith9351's Avatar

As a very long shot, it was common for brothers to enlist in the same Regiment, by looking for Micheal Crowe on the medal cards and see if any Regiments match up with John Crowe medal card.
    Keith

armo85

He didn't really speak about his time in the army except to say he did the ironing for a high ranking officer - and the visit to Catterick in North Yorkshire.
    He had been out of the army for around 10 years when he met my grandmother and he has not photographs. The only photograph we have ever seen was apparently of his father who was supposedly in the 7th Cavalry, but this is unlikely as the dates don't match up.