Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    eburridge1

Post What happened to William Boardman?

hi everyone I will probably need help with my research into the Boardman family. I am trying to find out when and where my father william boardman died. i last spoke to him end of 1959 in accrington lancashire. he was a "gentleman of the road for many years" so could be buried anywhere in the country. he was born 13/2/1897 and married 20/2/1920. any help please thanks

Loves to help with queries

Was your father born in Accrington? Only he doesn't seem to be coming up on LancsBMD or Ancestry in that area and I haven't found a death so far to tie up with the birth. Was the marriage in Haslingden to Mary Elizabeth Keane in 1920 or did he marry in another area? I'm sure someone will be along in a minute who'll do better than me, cicilysmith

Reputation beyond repute

Assuming that everything was entered correctly...

If there isn't a William Boardman in the indexes with a birthday of 13 February, you can assume that he died before 1969 so you only have a 10 year window.

Using FreeBMD with a birth year of 1896-1898 and if there was only one forename, there are only four possibilities. I'll leave it to you to find them.

The problem is how will you identify him?

eburridge1

thanks peter for your reply re my father william boardman. as he was a gentleman of the road i wondered if he could have had a pauper's funeral. any advice on that thanks ethel

Reputation beyond repute

i wondered if he could have had a pauper's funeral
    That's quite possible (at any rate the sixties or seventies equivalent). But that's a separate issue from the death registration. Unless you can identify the death you don't stand a chance of finding where the funeral took place.

Even if you get all possible certificate, I don't know how you could pick one and say "that's him". And then of course he might not have been accurately identified after he died.

pippycat

Do you know what happened to your Mother?

Rebecca

eburridge1

Default william boardman

Quote Originally Posted by pippycat View Post
    Do you know what happened to your Mother?

Rebecca
    hi pipcat, my mother stayed in haslingden until she died in bury hospital in september1964.my parents were never dovorced. thanks eburridge1

eburridge1

Default william boardman

Quote Originally Posted by cicilysmith View Post
    Was your father born in Accrington? Only he doesn't seem to be coming up on LancsBMD or Ancestry in that area and I haven't found a death so far to tie up with the birth. Was the marriage in Haslingden to Mary Elizabeth Keane in 1920 or did he marry in another area? I'm sure someone will be along in a minute who'll do better than me, cicilysmith
    hi there my father was born in haslingden, he married mary elizabeth keane in st.james church in feb.1920. does that help? thanks

pippycat

Ethel

Mary died in Bury, the couple were married 8 miles away in Haslingden, and in 1959 William was 4 miles away in Accrington.

On this assumption you could hope William was only a "local" type of traveller and stayed around the places he knew.
    That would narrow down the death area to make a start with - but as Peter says, how do you select the correct William from any of the possible candidates in any given year?

Rebecca

Reputation beyond repute

she died in bury hospital in september1964
    Does the death certificate describe her as "wife of..." or "widow of..."? This may help in refining the possible period when he dies.

Although if she had been deserted the description on the death certificate may not be totally reliable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast