NicSmith

Question L and LC (and S) in LMA Electoral Register

Can someone please explain what the L and LC stands for on electoral roll records at one address?
    Example https://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/17...00553/71610226

I'm looking at Dorothy Anderton Sharpe, she is present at 53 New Cavendish Court on this record.
    I can't work out if she lives there or if it is her work address as I know she owned our house in Quainton Buckinghamshire between 1941 and 1955, we also know she moved to Boxmoor, Herts after this and passed away there in 1978. However she turns up on London Electoral Records from 1926 onwards and well past 1955 as far as 1965 so far. Often these addresses have multiple people registered, mostly 3 to 6 people at one address and two of them are always preceded by an L or LC...

In this case:
    4396 L--Atkins, George R. 53
    4397 De Ville, Katherine 53
    4398 LC--Harding, Herbert 53
    4399 Mayo, Helen P. 53
    4400 Sharpe, Dorothy A. 53
    4401 Tweeddale, Sarah M. 53

Thanks!
    Nicolette

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Nicolette,

At the bottom of the Ancestry page where it says 151 of 174 alter the page number to 14 of 174, and there's an explanation of the various letters at the top of that page.
    And before you ask, I don't have a clue what they mean by 'Service Voter'.

Pam

NicSmith

Thanks, Pam. That explains the abbreviation, a Service Voter is someone in the armed forces who may or may not be living at that address, but would be if they weren't serving in the armed forces. So that makes sense.

Not that this makes my query any clearer as she's still at 2 addresses between 1941 and 1955 but as I'm not getting any electoral register entries in Aylesbury Vale or Buckinghamshire County, I'm guessing that perhaps the house in Quainton may have been her country retreat...? I shall follow this up in another forum thread...

Thanks again!
    Nicolette