Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    This is misleading. It did not mean that minors could marry despite parental objections. It means that a marriage was not invalidated if the minors had married without parental consent, perhaps because the parents didn't know about the proposed marriage,

However if the parents raised objections when the banns were called, the marriage could not proceed.
    Yes, quite so, however the parent had to raise the objection to the vicar (or whoever was conducting the marriage).

If for instance the banns were called in two churches (the potential grooms and the potential brides) and the marriage was to be held in the grooms parish, the objector would have to raise their objection in that parish.
    If they did not then it was possible the service could take place without any knowledge an objection had been made and the marriage would stand.

I.E. The couple would have been legally married without parental consent. The onus was on the parent (or guardian) raising the objection not the minor gaining consent.

Raising an objection at the time the banns were called could stop the marriage taking place (if it was in the same parish or if the cleric communicated the objection to the parish the marriage was to take place in).
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

A useful quiz regarding marriage laws and practices of England and Wales
    https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/la...alogists/quiz/

These links are also useful and interesting.
    https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/la...sts/resources/

Indigo_Child

Default I'm chuckling....

when people talk about the man of the house filling out the census form! In OUR house, since my husband can't remember ANY birthdays, when we were married, who likes onions to eat and who doesn't, I grab the census forms and tell him to go watch television! Alas, Canada under the present can't-plan-for-the-future government, the long census form has been banished. Good luck to anyone doing genealogy 50 years from now!!

I ALSO suspect, from what I've found in the census summary books, that in many households NEITHER husband nor wife was literate and therefore the census enumerator was the one writing things down. If it was the end of the day and the husband and wife were bickering over an age, I suspect the enumerator would just pick what sounded reasonable and put it down! I enumerated for several census years and believe me, by the end of the day, it's tempting to take the easiest route! And then there were the very elderly who date by "I got married in the spring after the big blizzard the year I broke my leg milking the cow...."!!

Clarinetguy

Thanks for that one!

whistler

In the 1700s & 1800s many people in Rural & City areas were illiterate many parents were unable to relate to their Children the Dates & Years they were born which is why so many people were only able to "Make their Mark" on paperwork usually an X and also why you will find differences in Census years with the ages or places given as "abt" or 1 of many different local names for the same area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12