cam15a

Default Eligibility for Parish relief c.1800

I have recently been looking at the Churchwarden's accounts for Knighton on Teme and have found mention, from about 1790 to 1808, of a woman in receipt of relief who could possibly be my gx5 grandmother, Elizabeth Clark. My Elizabeth did have adult children living in the parish at this time. If a person had children who could possibly take them in, would the parish have offered support?
    I did note one mention of a Humphrey Clark (the name of one of my Elizabeth's sons) receiving relief, so if these are the right people the children may not have been in a position to help much.
    If someone could explain how the decision to provide relief was made, or refer me to any resources, I would appreciate it.
    Many thanks,
    Anne

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Someone will probably be able to give a quick answer,but possibly there may be info at https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/43472 , a book "English Poor Law Policy" . It is mainly concerned with post 1835, but may contain something of use to you

Knowledgeable and helpful

Quote Originally Posted by cam15a View Post
    I have recently been looking at the Churchwarden's accounts for Knighton on Teme and have found mention, from about 1790 to 1808, of a woman in receipt of relief who could possibly be my gx5 grandmother, Elizabeth Clark. My Elizabeth did have adult children living in the parish at this time. If a person had children who could possibly take them in, would the parish have offered support?
    I did note one mention of a Humphrey Clark (the name of one of my Elizabeth's sons) receiving relief, so if these are the right people the children may not have been in a position to help much.
    If someone could explain how the decision to provide relief was made, or refer me to any resources, I would appreciate it.
    Many thanks,
    Anne
    To take the point about children first, children are not and were not responsible for the care of their parents.

The relevant law dealing with the poor in 1792 would be the earlier Act for the better Relief and Employment of the Poor, dated 1782. (Gilbert's Act). see-
    https://www.workhouses.org.uk/poorlaws/1782act.shtml

The site that holds the above transcript is an excellent site for an insight into the workhouse.
    https://www.workhouses.org.uk
    Cheers
    Guy
    As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

cam15a

Thank you, Guy that is very, very helpful. Also a reminder to assume nothing.
    The Churchwarden's accounts are fascinating, while it's hard to accurately identify most individuals, they give a fascinating insight into the workings of the parish - shoes and clothing bought, roofs thatched, midwives provided. And for some families the relief was provided year after year.