Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Nice one almach, however I see not only were you burning the midnight oil again but saw the 'early' morning sunrise as well while i was sleeping
    I'm an insomniac, Geneius

Marriage Eliza PRIESTLEY to Joseph 'LAW' April - June 1861 Sheffield 9c 312
    That looks promising, well done!

ratatat

Quote Originally Posted by jjchiasson View Post
    I was wondering if there is a way to find who was at 4 court Birley st in brightside during the 1881 census? This is the address on Edith's birth certificate and baptism record.
    I've been following along through the search and have been often confused, so my apologies if you already have this information.

There seem to be a few 1881 census entries for Court 4 on Birley Street:

RG11, piece 4659, folio 63, page 8

Court 4, 1 - James, Eliza Nells, James Robinson
    Court 4, 2 - Thomas Hanson family

RG11, piece 4659, folio 64, page 9

Court 4, 3 Birley St - Robert Searly family
    Court 4, 4 Birley St - Levi Staniforth family
    Court 4, 5 Birley St - William Oakley family
    Court 4, 6 Birley St - John North, Lavinia W(H)ood
    Court 4, 7 Birley St - Uninhabited

ratatat

Starting to feel at home

I did not have the information but it is appreciated. That address is on the birth certificate for June of that year. It was wishful thinking to think her family were there during the census. I have been muddling over this for sometime. I am still a bit perplexed. Thanks again all.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Eliza BELTON b 1826 Kegworth

1) John VERNON married Shardlow Derbyshire 1844 died 1845 Shardlow
    issue Joseph VERNON also k/a BELTON / PRIESTLEY b 1845 Shardlow

2) William PRIESTLY mariage ( 1845 - 1854 ) Only death i CAN FIND IS Q2 1854 SHEFFIELD 9C 235
    issue William b 1854 Sheffield 9c 375 bp
    Priestly, William (of Andrew St, born 1854-05-03).
    Baptised August 10, 1854, by F. Armitage at Holy Trinity Church, Wicker.
    Parents name(s) are Eliza & William (Lab).
    Note: Private.

2) Joseph LOWE married 1861 Sheffield

Diamond_joe

Quote Originally Posted by jjchiasson View Post
    I am having trouble finding the family of Edith in the 1881 census.

Here is my story:

I have a birth certificate which I have started questioning if it is the right one. On this certificate Edith was born 21 Jun 1881. Father is listed as Joseph Belton, mother is Laura (Baker) and residing in Brightside at 4 Court, Birley St. (U.S.D.) On the Sheffield Indexers site i found her baptism. It corresponds to this birth certificate. I also found a baptism for her younger brother Ernest Priestley Belton on Family Search. She has an older brother Alfred.

Now to the more recent. I believe her family is this one located on Solly Street 2 ct 37 in the 1891 censuses;
    RG12/3818/90/18.
    Her mother Laura is widowed and who I believe to be her father, Joseph, died Sep 1890. (Priestley, age 49 in Sheffield 9c 276)

Moving to 1901. Edith's mother is remarried (Coleman) and is at 29 Sambourne Sq. (RG13/4365/43/32)

Edith's full name, as state in the title, is the way it is written on her marriage certificate dated 14 Mar 1904. She married William Lee. She is listed as 22 at this time and living at 3 Court Adelphi Street. St Phillips Church held the wedding. Father is John Priestley Belton (labourer, Deceased).

In 1906, William and Edith had a son, Edward Ernest. They were living at 29 Sambourne Sq. I think Laura is still there because she is listed in the 1911 census at 29 Sambourne Sq running a lodge with her son, Alfred as a lodger. Laura is using Priestley as her surname.

So as it is, I am looking for help anyone can provide. I am sure I am missing something or I could be totally on the wrong path.

JJ
    Hi Apologies for raising an old thread from the past but ive only just had the oppurtunity to find this.

I think we may be related. My link is by Ernest Priestley Belton, who ive found out today is my Great Grandfather, through his son Albert and his grandson, my father.

Id be very interested in finding out how you have got on with you investigation into Edith

Regards

Neil Belton

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123