Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nicolina

\i believe that I found the HOWARD family in 1901 and Thomas's age was 18,born Barnton. They were living at 3, Oak Road, Higher Bebbington (RG13 Folio 31 Piece 3384. They were a family of Carters, Thomas senior was the Owner.
    Assuming that Thomas junior's occupation didn't change, he could be anywhere in 1911

Devonmade

How about this one?
    1901 Census:
    Piece 3526 Folio 176 Page 18 Registration District Prescot Civil Parish St Helens Municipal Borough
    Address 221, Marshall's Cross Road, St Helens County Lancashire.

SWIFT, John Head Married M 42 1859 Joiner, St Helens, Lancashire
    SWIFT, Mary E Wife Married F 36 1865 St Helens, Lancashire
    SWIFT, Mary E Daughter Single F 16 1885 Skelmersdale, Lancashire

Wilkes_ml

I went through most of the SWIFT marriages 1901-1911 registration district Wirrel, to see if any possible siblings of Mary Elizabeth SWIFT could be traced to the 1911 census and work backwards to 1901, but I could only see two families in the Higher Bebington area...one being John & Mary A. SWIFT, whose children were born at Little Sutton, but no daughter Mary Elizabeth, and one family with a father Pemberton SWIFT.

So it is very likely that she did come from further afield.

Nicolina

I did find 2 SWIFT boys "training to be Seamen", both born around the time Mary Elizabeth was supposedly born. Could be siblings. I'll see if I can find them again and then look for them on the 1891 Census

A possible.

1891, Skelmersdale.

John Swift 33, Carpenter, Latham Lancs
    Ammon?? (Hannah) Swift 32, Westhall Lancs
    Thomas Swift 9, Skelmersdale
    Mary E Swift 6, Skelmersdale
    Fred Swift 4, Skelmersdale
    Edwin Swift 2, Skelmersdale
    Ellen Swift 4/12, Skelmersdale

RG12; Piece: 3044; Folio: 70; Page: 23

John Swift 43, Colliery Carpenter
    Hannah Swift 42
    Thomas Swift 19
    Mary E Swift 16
    Fred Swift 14
    Edwin Swift 12
    Robert Swift 8

To assist those trying to help - I've found Mary Elizabeth's marriage. Her father is entered as deceased, his occupation was Labourer.

In view of this info the census records @ #15 cannot be Mary Elizabeth and family as that John Swift was still alive in 1911.

jac65

Hi

It looks like Thomas and Mary Elizabeth had 2 children according to Familysearch.org

Thomas John Howard christened 12th April 1908, Higher Bebington who is at his uncles Samuel William Ellison, Moorfield Cottage, Heath Road, Higher Bebington in the 1911 census. Samuels wife is Hannah Ellison (nee Howard) and most likely the sister of Thomas. Samuel is a boarder in Howard household in the 1901 census. RG13; Piece: 3384; Folio: 31; Page: 10

Violet Mary Howard christened 6th Feb 1910 Higher Bebington who is at her Howard grand parents in 1911 census. Thomas & Hannah Howard, Grove Farm, Lower Bebington. (Enumerators Schedule has address as 5 The Grove, Lower Bebington)

Curiously the neston Parish Register has Mary Elizabeths father as John Swift, labourer, deceased, no mention of him being a wheelwright.

Andy

Wilkes_ml

Unfortunately, this may prove an impossible problem to solve. It is quite possible that Mary Elizabeth's birth name was SWIFT, but her father may have not been John SWIFT. I have two in my own family where the father's name was recorded incorrectly. One Charles MOLLOY named his father as Charles MOLLOY, when it was actually Charles LAWRENCE (he was born after his mother was widowed but before she married his biological father). The second occurrence was when a female ancestor had her father recorded with completely different first names in her two marriages (fortunately one was correct).

Another avenue to follow (long shot I know) would be to trace her two known children forward in time to when they died, and see if either left a will. There may be a very small chance that one may mention a maternal cousin, aunt or uncle. Clutching at straws here, but without any evidence of where she was born, any records prior to her death is just a calculated guess.

Nicolina

I have a few "weird" one. My ancestor was registered as LEAPER but on his marriage certificate he used his step father's surname and his biological father's first name. Took quite a while to unravel. Another couldn't decide what his surname was - all his life he kept changing it. and his uncle Jeremiah suddenly started calling himself Zachariah.

pippycat

This might be a possible for Mary E Swift.

1881 census: 3738 f85 972
    Broad Oak, Parr. St Helens.
    John Swift 1855 Parr, Lancs. Alkali Lab.
    wife: Ellen 1856 Parr.
    dau: Elizabeth 1878 Haydock, Lancs
    dau: Susan 6 months. Parr

1891 census: 3024 f12 p13
    105 Broad Oak Rd.
    Ellen Swift 1856 St Helens Office Cleaner. Widow
    dau: Elizabeth 1878 Haydock. Char girl.
    dau: Louisa 1881 St Helens
    dau: Eliza 1883 St Helens
    dau: MARY E 1885 St Helens
    son: John 3 months.

1901: 8 Nicholson Street. St Helens