Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

My question is, would there be any record of Joseph's father in Parish record
    If I had spotted an entry for the 'spurious father' I would have included it within the reply!

An alternative source may be the 'Parish Chest / Records, particularly if the mother claimed Parish relief. held at the local Record Office

His birth certificate may contain an entry obtain form www.gro.gov.uk cost £9.25

My question is, would there be any record of Joseph's father in Parish record
    He could be but then so could any other male !
    It is likely that on the marriage of his mother he adopted the family name of SMITH for respectability purposes etc with no formal paperwork being put in place.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Unless you find a record with the father's name on it then you have to proceed very carefully, and maybe just accept that you will never know his name.

My grandmother was illegitimate, and none of us know who her father was, and I suspect neither did she, as she went on to have an illegitimate son, who following her marriage when he was about 4 or 5, was brought up as his step father's son, but never adopted his surname. Despite asking, I know that she would not tell him about his biological father. One of his son's even asked his uncle, my father, what he knew; and he did not know anything either. I know that in today's world there is an assumption that everyone has the right to know who their biological parents are, but 150 years ago it was very different.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12