Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    andygibb

Default WC Athol Stanhope Forbes b 1912 d 1981

It is believed Athol was the son of a relative of mine, one Isobel Gibb (who became Isobel Barr then Isobel Forbes). I am currently waiting for Athol's birth certificate coming to me to confirm this.

While there is much information online about Athol's RAF career (particularly as one of "The Few" in the Battle of Britain), I am posting here to see if anyone has any further information on him, for example his life after the war, information on his wife (who I believe to be Lorraine) and of any of his children ( I know he had son called Athol Stuart Forbes born 1939).

I also believe he had a brother Angus, who I also believe may have spent some time in prison.

If anyone knows any information that ay help me, then please contact me.

Best wishes

Andy Gibb
    Fort William
    Scotland

Nicolina

On 16th September 1957. together with hs wife Lorraine. he sailed on the " Prinses Maria Pia" from London, en route to Beirut, where they were to reside for more than 12 months.
    His date of birth is given as 4th April 1912 (occupation - Merchant) and Lorraine's as 6th May 1917. Their address in the U.K. appears to be c/o National Provincial Bank, Berkhamstead..

Welcome to Brit Gen Andy, you'll find that our members are a friendly, helpful gang.

Can I just remind everyone that if you want to share information involving people who might still be alive (eg his children), that should be done via the pm system, not on the open forum.

andygibb

Default Further help please

Just had an email from GRO telling me there is no birth record for Athol Stanhope Forbes at Hanover Square in London anytime between 1911 and 1913 even although internet records of his RAF career all show him as having been born there on 4th April 1912.

This really is a problem as I am trying to establish Athol's mothers name, as it is believed my great aunt was his mother.

Anyone got any idea where I can go next to find this fact out?

Thanks

Andy

FreeBMD (England/Wales) only shows 2 Athol* Forbes births - Athol RL in 1916, Marylebone, mother's surname Leslie and Athol S. in H.Hempstead, 1940, mother's surname Carter (this is presumably the son, Athol Stuart).
    I have also checked Scotlands People (in view of the forenames), there's a few Athol Forbes, but none with Stanhope as a middle name.
    FreeBMD also has a marriage for Athol S Forbes to Ernestine MYL Carter in the June quarter of 1939. That marriage cert might help.

The only possible Angus in FreeBMD is Angus Lawrence, b Hampstead in 1908. The 1911 census shows him as son number 5 to Alexander Forbes , trunk manufacturer, b. abt 1867 Scotland, and Annie, b. abt 1869 Hampstead. What is presumably their marriage was 1892, Hampstead, Annie's surname is Richards. Of course, the link (if any) between Angus and Athol needs to be shown somehow...

Another source says that he died in Stratford on Avon in 1981, having settled in Alcester, Warwickshire.

Looking at WW2 newspapers, I'm amazed that Athol survived the war. One newspaper gives his age as 28 in 1940, which confirms the 1912 birthdate, and says that his home is in Marlow, Bucks. I assume that you already know abut his time at Cameroons Air Transport?

andygibb

Lesley,

Ive got that wedding certificate coming to me shortly (I ordered it at the same time as I ordered a birth certificate) but if I am right ( forgive me if I am not) English marriage certificates will only give me Athol's fathers name, and will not show his mother's ( unlike Scottish records which show both) therefore not confirming if Isabel is his mother.

I'm sure I will get there some how. I just need to confirm the family story that my relative (Isabel) was Athol's mother before I carry on investigating his life....it's become an obsession!

Thanks for the help here though

Best wishes from a wet and windy Scotland

gasser

Welcome to the forum Andy. I visit Fort William every May, it is a lovely part of the world!
    Found this information about your man extracted from book 'Heroes of The Skies' written by Michael Ashcroft. (can be found on google books) "After the war, Forbes remained in the RAF until 1948 and later he became operations manager for 'Cameroons Air Transport Ltd'. He eventaully settled in Alcester, Warwickshire and died in hospital in nearby Stratford-upon-Avon on 18th April, 1981 aged sixty-nine" There may be an obituary in one of the local papers for the area, which might be worth investigating. I'll keep searching in and among!

andygibb

thanks for that.

I know his obituary in The Times in 1981 was very short and did not mention family but i will look into local press.

cheers

Andy, Don't forget to let us know what that certificate says (yes, I know how lucky we scots are), but with a confirmed father it might be possible to track the pre-Athol family in the 1911 census, hopefully living with Isobel.
    Is it worth contacting whatever library serves Alcester? As a local hero, someone might have done some research or even interviewed him. I know that my Mum's local library in Lincolnshire was a positive treasure chest of handwritten notes because one of the librarians got interested in the local history.....
    His birth cert must have been mis-indexed. I've tried the obvious variations (eg Stanhope-Forbes) on FreeBMD, so now he's annoying me as well!

andygibb

Glad I'm not the only one pulling my hair out!!

They were not living together in 1911. Isabel was living at White Feather, Cadgwith, Helston in Cornwall with her Aunt and her son from her marriage to Andrew Greig Barr ( that was AG Barr as in Barr's Irn Bru, she was married to him for a year before his death and was pregnant with his child when he died in 1903...Andrew's brother William then took over the AG Barr company ) I never knew why Isabel went to Cornwall and always wondered if a man was involved. She died in Hemel Hempstead in 1965 aged 84 so the areas all add up as Athol had a daughter called Isabel in Hemel Hempstead in 1951. Unfortunately though until I can actually prove Athol was Isabel's illegitimate child all my evidence is circumstantial. It is from Andrew Greig Barr's great grandson that I have the information from the Forbes connection but while I am sure it is correct I know Isabel never married again and is thought to have had two further sons, Athol and Angus Forbes ( I cant find any birth details for Angus either).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast